Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To The End of His Days  by GamgeeFest

36. Home


At first, I don’t see much more’n a swirling mass of smoke. Next thing, we’re sweeping over the Grey Havens and Blue Mountains on the way towards Westmarch. 

Robin’s still there, along with Rosie and Daisy. They’re helping Elanor plan the Yule feast. At Great Smials, Goldilocks and Perty are baking in their kitchen, while Peregrin naps in the library.

Next comes Bag End. Holfast, Bilbo and Hamfast are preparing the garden for winter. Frodo-lad’s entertaining in the parlor. Merry’s there with his wife, and Athelas and Tom are visiting. Athelas ain’t showing yet, but I know somehow they’ll have a bairn come summer.

Ruby, Primrose and Pippin are in Bywater with their families. They’re patching the barn roof yet again, while Goldie, Nick and Nibs entertain the faunts and prepare a feast to feed the whole town, seems like. And over in Buckland, Meriadoc’s going over the accounts with his sons.

The picture fades and the smoke returns. I step back and blink, not quite believing what I’d just seen. I feel as I’ve been lifted off my feet and can’t quite find the ground again. I go to stand on the bench, hoping that the ocean will help root back here in Avallónë. Quite the opposite. 

From here, the city below looks small and distant except for the towers that reach up like fingers over the rest. The ocean stretches out behind them to the blue horizon. I stare in wonder, for spread before me is the drawing Rose had done years ago. She really had seen it and all this time I’ve been looking at it from the wrong angle. For the first time since her passing, I can feel her near me, a soft peacefulness.

I smile up at Gandalf. They’re happy and I’m ready.




GF 10/30/12




To be continued...




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List