Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Least of Rings  by Dreamflower

Part 2

22 Halimath, S.R. 1390

"Frodo! Wake up, it's our big day! Rise and shine!" Bilbo came into the room cheerily, sweeping open the curtains. "We've a lot to do to prepare for our birthday!"

Frodo gave an incoherent mumble, pulling the covers over his face.

"What's that, lad?" asked Bilbo, tugging them down again.

"Just a few more minutes, Uncle Bilbo."

"I'm making a bacon-and-mushroom omelet for first breakfast," he said. "Of course, if you don't want any, I can eat it all myself!"

He went out of the room, closing the door. Frodo shot out of bed--there were few breakfast treats he loved more than bacon-and-mushroom omelets! He dashed some cold water over his face, threw on his clothes, grabbed a small package from the top of his dresser and darted to the kitchen.

Bilbo was just finishing the omelet as Frodo came into the kitchen. Frodo cut some bread, laid the table, and fetched butter, honey and pear preserves from the larder. He placed his small package next to Bilbo's plate.

When they had finished their breakfast down to the very last crumb, Frodo looked at Bilbo. "It's your turn to go first this year." He gestured at the package still on the table.

"Is it?" Bilbo asked. "I suppose it is." He unwrapped the gift to find a small framed watercolor painting of the rooftree atop Bag End. "Oh, my lad! This is lovely!" He admired Frodo's handiwork. "I shall hang it next to the window in my room, where I can see it as soon as I wake up every morning!"

Frodo grinned, pleased at Bilbo's reaction to his painting.

Bilbo handed him a small package from his pocket. Curious, Frodo untied the ribbon and allowed the tissue to fall away. There was a silver fob-chain. On one end was a key, and on the other end was a golden coin. Frodo's jaw dropped in speechless surprise.

Bilbo grinned. "That's your own key to Bag End. You've lived here a year now, lad, and have proven to be trustworthy and mature enough for the responsibility."

"Thank you, Uncle Bilbo! But this--" he fingered the golden coin, "it's your lucky trinket that you won in the Riddle Game!"

"Frodo,I'm trusting you with a secret. Gandalf didn't wish it told, but I knew I'd tell you when you were old enough. I was lucky enough to pick this coin up in my travels, true enough, but it's not what I got in the goblin caves."

Bilbo reached once more into his pocket, and held out his palm. A golden ring shone there." This was the present Gollum promised me. It was the source of my luck. It's a magic ring; it makes the wearer invisible!" Bilbo put it on his finger, and was suddenly gone!

"Uncle!" Frodo panicked. But Bilbo appeared again as quickly as he'd vanished.

"I told the Dwarves, but Gandalf said it should go no further, and I have taken his advice. But I'll keep no secrets from you."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List