Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Least of Rings  by Dreamflower

Part 5

15 Astron, S.R. 1418

For three days, Frodo was patient. Clearly Gandalf was shocked by learning that the ring Bilbo found was not the Ruling Ring. It explained a lot: why the wizard had insisted on secrecy, why he'd never told Frodo where Bilbo was (though Frodo suspected his cousin had been in Rivendell for years); why Gandalf's visits were so brief and many mysterious hints he had dropped over the years.

Now as they sat over the remains of second breakfast, Frodo spoke up. "Gandalf, now you know my ring is not something dangerous, that it's not what you thought it was, do you suppose that this would be a good time for me to visit Bilbo?"

Gandalf blinked. He took a few puffs of the pipe he'd just lit. "You know, I think it would! Not only that, but I'll travel with you. You'll need my help to find him."

"Isn't he in Rivendell?" Frodo said, arching an eyebrow.

The wizard chuckled. "It's not openly known, but yes. Still, Rivendell doesn't exactly have signposts. You'll still need a guide to get there. Now, having waited this long, are you in a great hurry?"

"No, though I'd like to go within a few months--just after midsummer at the latest."

"That sounds reasonable. I'll need to send and receive messages--but there's no reason I cannot accompany you at that time. Make your plans."

Frodo grinned. At last he'd get his chance to journey outside the Shire, to see Bilbo again, to meet Elves! Oh, he had lists to make, and arrangements to see to!

Just then there was an imperious rapping at the door--not at all the sound of a closed hand. It sounded much more like the tip of an umbrella firmly wielded by Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. The only question in his mind was whether or not his headache would be doubled by the presence of her son Lotho as well, or if she'd be on her own. He heaved a sigh, rising reluctantly, his elation of a moment before extinguished. "Excuse me, Gandalf,"

He took a moment in front of the door to try and calm himself plastering a smile that felt like the lie it was on his face before he opened the door. "Good morning, Lobelia," he said, keeping his voice as level as he could.

"Frodo Baggins! I hear you're harboring that old conjurer Gandalf here again! Have you no concern for the reputation of the family name?" Her tirade fairly begun before she even set foot in the door, she continued. "What's he doing here now?"

"Lobelia, Gandalf was always a good friend to Bilbo, and he remains a good friend of mine. I do not need to answer to you for those whom I show hospitality," he answered frostily.

She narrowed her eyes at him. "He spirited Bilbo off twice! Is he here to spirit you away now?"

Frodo didn't like the speculative note in her voice. He mustn't let the S.-B.s know he was leaving the Shire.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List