Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Least of Rings  by Dreamflower

Part 11

2 Halimath, S.R. 1418

Bilbo was waiting on the steps in front of the Last Homely House, flanked by Gandalf and Master Elrond, as they awaited the arrival of the party from the Shire. He leaned on his walking stick, and each of his tall friends had a comforting hand upon his shoulders. But he could not help but worry; the word was that his family had met with danger on the road.

And then came the sound of horses; Glorfindel upon Asfaloth bore Frodo before him, and Aragorn bore Merry in the same fashion. The sons of Elrond had ridden down to the Ford when their father had sensed the arrival of guests. Behind Elladan rode Sam, while Pippin rode behind Elrohir. Bilbo couldn't help but notice that Frodo's left arm was in a sling, as was Merry's right arm. He started to rush down the steps, but Gandalf's hand was firm, so he had to wait until the group had dismounted, before he was allowed to descend and embrace Frodo, not as enthusiastically as he would have wished, but carefully lest he hurt the injured arm. "Oh, Frodo, lad! I've missed you so!" He didn't try to blink away his tears. Finally he greeted the others; they'd been so young when he left, and now were well-grown!

They were led within, and Bilbo showed them to the guest rooms that had been prepared for them by his advice. They were able to wash, and a light repast had been prepared and placed in each room, a tray with fruit, bread and cheese, and a pitcher of watered wine. Finally he gathered them all to his own quarters, the rooms which had been given him when he had first begun to make his home in Rivendell.

Then he questioned them about their journey, and learned how they had come by their injuries.

"It was a few days after the wraith attacked us on Weathertop that Lord Glorfindel found us. It had been awkward and slow to travel, for both Merry and I needed to take it slow. I mostly was riding Strider's horse, but we often had to stop to rest. When the Elf arrived, we had two horses, and it seems we should have had better time." Frodo paused as Bilbo offered him tea.

"We had three more encounters with brigands out to seek the reward that was offered for us hobbits," said Pippin. "The first two we simply hid, and were passed by, but the last time there was a large band of at least a dozen such fellows, but when they found themselves confronted by Strider and Lord Glorfindel, they decided that discretion was the better part of valour and ran off."

Bilbo noticed that Frodo was pale. "Are you all right, Frodo?"

"I still have headaches; Strider says I'm likely to for a while yet, but they should eventually go away."

"Well, I shall chivvy you all off to rest, and will wake you in time for the feast!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List