Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Changes and Acceptances  by Mirkwoodmaiden

Menelwie's Page-all things LOTR

Chapter 5 - The Green Dragon Awaits

Frodo sat back against a large oak tree within a little copse close to Bag End with Elanor his "little flower bud" near one knee. He loved it here. He used to read here as a younger Hobbit and had spent endless hours dreaming up adventures that he would go on with Bilbo. Now he was watching his little niece exploring the pretty greenness for herself. A butterfly fluttered past and Elanor giggling as she tried to run after it, falling over in the process, but intrepidly getting up to have another try. She still held the little golden flower of Lorien that Celeborn had given her yesterday; she would not let it go. One would have thought that it would have wilted under such attentions, but it had not. Elanor ran a little further chasing the butterfly. Frodo called, "Little one, not so far!" But of course the child paid no heed and Frodo had to get up to make sure the little girl did not get into mischief. Mischief, that was why they were out here in the first place, Frodo mused wryly. The little dear was getting in everyone's way as they made the preparations for the celebrations two days hence. 

Frodo volunteered to get the child from underfoot and quickly spirited her away to his special place among the trees. Frodo ran over to where Elanor was jumping after the butterfly and gathered up her in his arms, laughing, "Yes, you little baggage, it is your Tadaura in two days! Shall I tell you the story of why we celebrate Tadaura?" Elanor looked interested so he continued, "Well, it's a tradition that goes back more than two centuries! There was a terrible winter and it lasted longer than anyone could remember a winter lasting. So it is called the Long Winter. Well during this winter, people were not well and many little children did not survive until the age of two, but as the story goes Gandalf, the very same Gandalf that walks among us now came and helped Shirefolk through the long winter and after that children were healthy again and people began to mark the occasion of the second birthday with much joy and feasting. And that is why Gandalf is considered a special friend to the Hobbits because of the help he gave so long ago!"


"My part in that is greatly overrated, I keep telling people that but nobody seems to listen." Frodo spun around and there stood the very wizard of which he had been speaking, "Gandalf! You've arrived! It's wonderful to see you again!" his eyes glowing with happiness.

"Yes, I'm here! I couldn't miss this bright little star's Tadaura, now could I? Especially as I'm given credit for creating the whole tradition." Gandalf said, shaking his head and amusement tingeing his voice. "And how is the little star today! What a pretty flower you have there!" Elanor reached out to give the flower to Gandalf, which he received graciously, "Thank you, little star!"

"Celeborn gave her that flower yesterday and she's not let go of it since! Casting spells on children, again, Gandalf?"

The Maia tossed the Hobbit a scathing glance and continued on, "Well, if the Lord of Lothlorien carries an Elanor flower all the way from the Golden Wood, it must be special!" Gandalf said still talking to Elanor.

"He did not actually carry it from Lothlorien, he sort of made it out of another flower." Frodo informed him.

"Really," Gandalf's eyebrows went up a notch. "Well, in that case, my little star, I shall give it back to you, for it is a special flower that will never die as long as there are Elves in Lorien." At that he put the flower in the little girl's hair. "Let us return to the house and see what mischief we can create, Hmmm!"

"Have you been to the house yet?"

"Nay, I've only just arrived." Gandalf called over his back. They walked a little further to the road and a white horse, unbridled trotted up to greet them.

"Shadowfax, Ah! You beauty!" Frodo cooed. Shadowfax nudged his pocket as if searching for something, "Sorry, my lad, but I got no carrots for you today!" he said stroking the horse's thick white mane.

"Shadowfax! Shame on you! Begging like a common packhorse! Really!" Gandalf scolded. Shadowfax, however did not look in the least abashed, as he was a horse never easily cowed. "Does just as he pleases!" Gandalf said, trying to sound stern and disappointed, but it was all a facade and Shadowfax knew that. The horse then snorted, as if to say, "Well, put the baby on my back and let's get on!" Gandalf did just that and they walked peaceably back to the house via the road.

Bag End appeared to be a bastion of calm from the outside, but as Gandalf and Frodo reached the rounded door the mistaken image was shattered utterly as Rosie's voice, stern and commanding as any field captain rung out, "Legolas! Where's the rest of that bushel of potatoes I asked you for ten minutes ago, aren't you finished peeling them yet!" Opening the door, they saw the afore-scolded elf scowling at a potato as if blaming it for its half-peeled state. "If I had known they were this hard to peel I would have never asked for them in the first place!" the Elf was heard to mutter under his breath. Then realising that he wasn't alone, Legolas looked up from the offending potato, "Mithrandir! You've finally made it," he cried standing up, momentarily forgetting that he had a bowl of potatoes in his lap, which of course he sent tumbling to the floor. "A Elbereth! Accursed things!" he bent to pick them up.

Gandalf had been trying desperately hard not to laugh, but lost the battle when Legolas stood up and revealed the most aggrieved Elf face that he had seen in many a day.

Legolas, regaining his good humour said, "You think this is bad, wait until you see what she has Celeborn and Galadriel doing!"

Rosie had obviously gotten over her awe of Elves for as Gandalf and Frodo gained the kitchen they were astonished at what they beheld. There sat the Lord and Lady of Light, the Lady sitting on the floor shucking the newly picked peas and Celeborn sat at the table with Rosie bending over him informing him of the proper way to peel whole carrots. "Now you glide the peeler down the carrot away from you, that is the most efficient way of doing it."

"Yes, Ma'am!" The Lord of Light replied, concentration furrowing his brow.

"Honestly, you would think that you'd never cook for yourself before." Rosie said in a disbelieving voice.

"Well, in truth, I've not. We generally have servants to do that sort of thing."

Rosie hmmphed to show what she thought of that arrangement. "Well then, how then do you explain your Lady's aptness at shucking those peas?"

"Ah Well," Celeborn said, "My Lady is an Elf of many hidden talents." smiling affectionately at Galadriel who returned the smile and then looked up,

"Mithrandir!" she sang out with graciousness and dignity as if she were sitting in state greeting him rather than sitting on the floor of a Hobbit hole with a bowl of peas in her lap.

"My Lady!" Gandalf bowed low hand on heart, "Mae Govannen! I see you have found employment." he replied amusedly.

Celeborn, from across the table said, "I think young Peregrin would say that we 'did not get out of dodge quickly enough!'" he said laughingly. "Though it has certainly been...educational, shall we say!"

"Yes, and when I catch those two, I have a few things to say to them," Legolas said from behind them, bringing in the last of the peeled spuds in a decorated ceramic bowl. He bowed low before Rosie offering up the bowl, "Here you are my "sweet" lady. Is there anything else that I can do for you!" he finished merrily. Rosie, catching the quotation marks around "sweet" craned her neck to view him with amusement, "As a matter of fact, Master Elf, I was going to release you from my service, but being that you asked so "nicely" I think you can join Faramir, Beregond and Sam at the Party Field. They've gone to make the field presentable for the pavilion to be set up." The wood elf groaned slightly.

Gandalf watched with delight as the four-foot she-Hobbit brought the six foot-two Elf to heel. Legolas conceded graciously even though he had never stood a chance of winning. Rosie was in her element, and nobody was going to willingly gainsay her, be they Elf Lord and Elf Lady or Prince of Mirkwood. Legolas again bowed low, "Then I am off to the Party Field. Mithrandir, Frodo, care to come and share the miser...er joyous occasion." Legolas' eyes flashed mischief as he spoke.

Frodo demurred, "I really shouldn't. I am kind of tired. I did promise Rosie that I would look after Elanor." Both Legolas and Gandalf looked disappointed, as they had been hoping to keep Frodo active so he would not have time to dwell.

Rosie seeing the wizard and the elf's reaction stepped in and said, "Nonsense, get yourself down there with Gandalf and Legolas! Elanor will be just fine, won't she, my Lady?" Galadriel had been listening intently while pea shucking, looked up and caught Rosie's eye. She knew she had just been promoted from pea-shucker to child-minder in a cause she whole-heartedly supported.

"Yes, little Elanor will be just fine!" she averred as she put aside her shucking bowl and reached for the child, who willingly ran to her.

"And don't you let me catch you in the Green Dragon, either." Rosie said in a voice that said that was exactly where she wanted them to end up.

"Well, it's settled then! I guess we make for the Party Field," Gandalf confirmed ushering the other two toward the door.

As they were shutting it, they laughed when they heard Rosie say, "Did I tell you to stop peeling carrots?"

"No, ma'am." came the willingly obedient voice of Lorien's Lord.

"Well, then back to it."

"Yes, ma'am!"

Gandalf laughed as they closed the gate behind them. "Where was Rosie, when we were badly in need of battle captains, I should like to know."

"Orcs would have fled before her, had they known what lay beneath the surface of that pretty little she-hobbit face!" Legolas laughed.

Frodo grinned and said, "Let's leave before she changes her mind."

***

After having gathered up Sam, Faramir and Beregond from the Party Field, luckily for the arriving trio, the work had been nearly finished by the time they had gotten there, they headed for the Green Dragon if only not to enrage Rosie for a second time that day.

The newly rebuilt Green Dragon was just as quaint and cozy as had the old pub been, except maybe the seats were a little more comfortable. Granted, gone was the centuries of carved initials made by amorous young couples and various dents and scarred bits of wall that used to prompt the re-telling of favoured stories, such as the one about how Young Tom Buck had bet his friends that he could walk on his hands the full length of the pub after drinking six pints. He made it halfway and then toppled over, one of his feet denting the railing just on the far side of the bar, past the tap that served up Golden Perch ale. The dent and the story it evoked had always been used as a cautionary tale to all those young Hobbits who were tempted to take on more than they could actually handle. These things were lost during the unpleasantness of a couple years ago, but the spirit of the place remained undiminished.

A wood fire burned in the fireplace and there was a place near the bar that was occupied by two rather familiar Hobbits and one dwarf. Legolas saw them first. " So this is where you two have been hiding yourself, escaping the kitchen under field commander Rosie. And Gimli, for shame, being led astray by these miscreant Hobbits!"

Gimli feigned indignation, saying gruffly, "I came to keep them out of trouble!"

"Ah! Admirable! And who's going to keep you out trouble!" Legolas parried.

"Certainly not you, Master Elf! Trouble from the first time I laid eyes on you!"

Legolas laughed and simply redirected his faux ire at Merry and Pippin, "What do you two have to say for yourselves," Legolas said loomed over the sitting Hobbits.

"We're guilty, we admit it," said Merry unrepentant. Pippin nodding fervently. "Besides whenever we're around we always manage to burn or spill something."

"Merry's right!" Pippin added, "Rosie's better off without us!"

"Umm-hmm! I see," Legolas said skeptically, then smiled, "Well, to make amends the next round is on Merry! You may be useless in the kitchen, but I am sure that your money spends just fine." he said clapping the Hobbit on the back.

"All right! All right! Ales all round and one wineskin for the poncey Elf!" Merry laughed heading for the bar, and dodged the acorn aimed at his head by said poncey elf.

A few pints later, when everyone was feeling quite merry, Elladan and Elrohir came into the pub in search of the missing party of miscreants. "Legolas! Rosie said you might be here and we thought we might join you."

"Master Elves! Pull up a stool and stay awhile!" crowed Beregond as he clapped Elrohir on the back.

The dark-haired elf looked a bit taken aback by the overt friendliness of the Gondorian soldier, but he recovered quite quickly saying, "Do not mind if we do." and much to the delight of the sitting inebriates, he said, "What is everyone having!" Returning with the requisite number of ales and wineskins, and he and Legolas received a few drunken cheers for their talent for returning to the table without spilling a drop. Gimli was heard to say, "Finally a proper use for Elven coordination!" Legolas laughed and slapped him on the back. Elrohir then settled next to the Mirkwood prince, who proceeded to tell tales of how Elrohir's grandparents had been recruited as kitchen staff by Rosie.

At first Elrohir could not believe it, "Einadar peeling carrots! Elladan! Did you hear that?"

"That I would have paid much to see!"

Legolas added, "Not only that, but being instructed by Rosie on the proper way to peel them." taking another swig from his wineskin.

Elladan laughed, "I can hardly credit it! Einadar sitting with a peeler in one hand and a carrot in the other."

"Gandalf, it is true, is it not!" Legolas looked Gandalf for support.

"It is true," affirmed the Maia, "I also seemed to recall one Elf who was having a very strong disagreement with a potato!" Gandalf's eyes twinkled at Legolas.

Elrohir said, "What is this? Legolas, you are becoming positively domestic. Prince of Mirkwood and tormentor of vegetables." he chortled.

Legolas slightly blushed, "Well, my first attempts were frankly pathetic, the accursed things are ridiculously hard to peel!"

Elladan laughed, "Legolas, Warrior Elf, Death with knives and a bow, but even more lethal with the dreaded potato peeler! I think we should fashion a little sheath for your new found weapon!"

"Laugh it up, Ell'. With a bow or a potato peeler, I'd still outshoot you!"

"Think you so! Well now, Competition is a fine thing they say. How about a little match, then. Tomorrow on the field with the Mallorn tree!"

Frodo had been listening to this elven banter, enjoying the teasing and the camraderie when an idea struck. He interjected, "Instead of just you two, how about opening it to all who wish to shoot!"

"Fine idea, Frodo!" Legolas declared, "What say you Ell' you up for it."

"I cannot wait! What about you 'Roh. A friendly competition!"

As Elrohir agreed, Faramir chimed in, "Can anyone enter!"

Frodo said, "Anybody at all!"

That agreed they all set about to do some more serious drinking. After a few more pints and many stories had been exchanged, Pippin came up with the idea of playing "Hops in a Barrel!" This seemed like a good idea to everyone at the time. Gandalf laughed because he could see what the rest of the night was going to be like.

"What are the rules and what are the forfeits." Faramir asked wiping his mouth with his sleeve after swallowing a healthy portion of the contents of his mug.

"Well," said Pippin warming to his role as ringleader, "We need a bucket of ale!"

"Barkeep!" Beregond yelled, "One bucket of ale for young Master Pippin." slamming his hand down on the table to emphasise the point.

"Then we get a wooden mug 'cause it's gotta float!" Pippin looked around and reached over to the next table and grabbed a mug and nearly upending himself in the process, "This will do!"

As the bucket of ale was delivered Pippin leapt up to demonstrate. "You place the mug in the bucket and put in a little ale into so it doesn't flop over. Next, each player takes his turn and pours a little of their own drink into the wooden mug. The one who sinks it has to chug the mug of ale. Sound good."

Various drunken mutterings of approval were heard and the game commenced. The first few pouring produced nothing more than an occasional wobble from the floating mug. Frodo was next up and a look of utter concentration crossed his brow. "Ooooo! He's serious, lads! Look at the concentration." Merry declared.

"You not going to throw me off my game, Brandybuck! Watch and learn!" Frodo sent back. He had just capped it perfectly. It was still afloat, barely. He took the congratulations from the motley crew and said, "Over to you, Master Meriadoc!" Frodo's eyes glowing with laughter. Merry took his turn and to delight of all was the first to chug the mug.

The Elves seemed unusually good at this game, though all claimed to have never played it before. But even drunk their reflexes and timing had suffered little. Each was able to drop in just enough to cause the next one in line to drink. During one round Legolas was next to go and noticed out of the corner of his eye, Merry and Gimli conferring, but he gave it no real thought. Just as he was about to pour he noticed Gimli at his elbow but still gave it no thought. Just as he was about finish pouring all of a sudden both Gimli and Merry exploded with massive sneezes, Gimli, supposedly inadvertently, jostled the Elf's arm causing him to misjudge and sink the mug. The group burst into a roar of amusement, Legolas laughed as he turning on Gimli , "Treacherous Dwarf, I suppose that you are going to claim that sneeze was accidental!"

Gimli feigned innocence, "What are you on about, Elf. Time to drink up."

Faramir piped up chortling, "Come on, Leg'las. You must chug."

Legolas fished the mug out of the bucket and downed it with a proficient air, impressing the others with this hitherto unknown ability and laughed, "Happy now, Dwarf!"

"Impressive, didn't think you had it in you, lad Obviously my influence upon you grows unsuspected!"

"A Elbereth! I hope not!" laughed the Elf hugging his friend in a slightly off-balanced way.

The game degenerated from there. Little nudges and overt shoves causing havoc among the players until a good time and a good deal more drink was had by all.

Last orders were called and the merry, singing crew left the pub stumbling along in various degrees of drunkenness. Elves pretending they were not drunk at all and failing miserably, to bumbling Men walking drunkenly arm in arm to the shuffling Hobbits. All headed for Bag End and receptions unknown.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List