Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Changes and Acceptances  by Mirkwoodmaiden

Menelwie's Page-all things LOTR

Chapter 10 - Three Prayers to the Valar

Two weeks later…

Aragorn and Elrond and his two sons rode through Hobbiton wearily and travel-stained and were greeted pleasantly enough by the various inhabitants of the village. But when they came to Bag End, there was an uneasy quiet that hung about the place. Aragorn threw a glance in Elrond direction and his father-in-law's furrowed brow told him that he felt the same sense of foreboding. Aragorn dismounted Hasufel and tied his reins around the fence and proceeded towards the rounded front door calling, "Frodo! Sam!" Just as he was about to push the door, it opened and Galadriel emerged from the little Hobbit hole.

Aragorn took one look at Galadriel's face and fear slashed through him. "Arwen!" he demanded, "where is she?" he felt as if his mind was threatening to splinter apart at the next words uttered by the Lady of the Golden Wood.

"Aragorn, listen to me," said Galadriel, staring intently into Aragorn's gray eyes, "She has given birth to a son two nights ago, but it has not gone well. She has lapsed into a fevered sleep from which we cannot rouse her."

Aragorn continued to stare into fathomless blue, "No! No! That is not possible." He stammered. "Where is she?" as he tried to push past Galadriel.

"Where is my daughter?"

Galadriel looked from Aragorn to see the Lord of Rivendell walking toward her carrying a satchel. Galadriel said a silent prayer thanking the Valar for this kindness and yet she still did not know if it was going to be enough, "she is inside." And with this she stepped aside and allowed them to pass.

Aragorn reached the room that they had shared only to see Rosie, Eowyn and another she-hobbit that he did not know standing around the bed and obscuring it. Rosie looked towards the door and said, "Aragorn, you've finally returned" in such a caustic way that he paused for a moment to send her a glance and then raced towards the bed.

He looked at Arwen's sleeping form, a still grace had settled upon her and his heart fought off what his mind was trying to tell him, that she was slipping towards death. Aragorn knelt by her bed, tears filling his eyes as he reached out to caress her cheek with his hand. "No!!" he was heard to utter from a place deep within his being, "Arwen, my heart, my soul. I am nothing without you. You cannot leave me."

Elrond knelt next to Aragorn at his daughter's head. He cast sorrowful eyes upon his daughter. After a few minutes he spoke, unaware of the tears running down his face, looked at his daughter, "Iell nin! I am here. Can you forgive a foolish father for all the pain he has caused?" He smoothed back the raven-coloured hair from his daughter's sweaty brow, "Gerich veleth nin, iell nin! I forgive you and want you to be happy." At this his voice cracked and he paused taking a deep breath to calm himself. "You must come back to us, my Undomiel!" he said in a stronger voice.

Elrond stood and with a visible effort, he calmed his mind enough to begin questioning Galadriel, Rosie and Eowyn about the birth and everything that had taken place in order to ascertain what if anything could be done for his daughter. She had a fever and there had been blood loss said Rosie, and the delivery had been long, but nothing too extraordinary. The three women were at a loss as to explain her condition.

Elrond returned to his daughter's bedside at which Aragorn still knelt stroking her dark hair and speaking to his wife in the heartfelt hushed tones of a worried soul. "Aragorn," He said gently, "Stand aside and allow me to examine her to see what can be done."

"I'll not leave her side!" he said stubbornly.

Elrond closed his eyes, searching for calm, and said, "My son, please! I must see what can be done." At this Eowyn came forward to lead Aragorn away saying, "Come my lord, Come and see your son."

Aragorn turned uncomprehending eyes towards Eowyn, and said, "My son," tonelessly as if these words had no meaning, but he got up and allowed himself to be lead away from the bedside to a previously unnoticed cot in the corner of the room. With Eowyn at his side, Aragorn stood at the cot, eyes shut. He slowly opened them and the gray eyes of the father and the deep blue, almost violet eyes of the infant son met. Eowyn held her breath as she looked at Aragorn beholding his son with a look of pain and something else she could not describe on his face. He simply stared for at the child for many moments. And then with a choking sob, he whispered, "My son! My beautiful son!" Eowyn let out the breath that she had not realized she was still holding and looked confidently at Galadriel, nodding her head ever so slightly. A look of intense relief crossed the Lady of the Golden Wood's face. There had been worry among the womenfolk that Aragorn would not accept his son into his heart, with Arwen's health still so much in doubt. Seemingly that was not to be case, Galadriel thought, thanking the Valar for the second time that day.

This wordless exchange had but taken a second, and Eowyn heard Aragorn ask, "He is strong, right? Nothing ails him." Eowyn turned her attention back toward Aragorn and quickly said, "Yes, he is quite strong. You can hold him if you like," she ventured hopefully.

Aragorn said quietly, "Yes, I would like that, if it is a good idea."

For an answer Eowyn scooped up the infant and placed him in his father's arms, making sure that he was holding the baby properly. When she was sure of both father and son, she left them there and rejoined the group by the bed. The womenfolk had decided that Aragorn should be left with the baby quickly in order to bond, especially as Arwen's health was in doubt.

Aragorn stood there holding the baby near the cot, transfixed as he was by the eyes that his little son so obviously shared with his mother, saying "My son, my beautiful son," over and over, his heart filling with love for the little life he held and deep concern with the lifeless form of his mother in the big double bed a few feet away. Pain coursed through Aragorn as he cradled his young son in his arms. He felt that if he were to let go of the child now, the grief that threatened would simply engulf him. So he stood swaying the child back and forth gently, softly humming an old Elven tune that he had heard as a boy in Imladris.

Galadriel watched this from across the room, saw the pain and love etched on Aragorn's face and prayed silently for a third time to the Valar that day, "Let us not be too late, Send Arwen Undomiel back from wherever she is roaming for I do not believe that Aragorn will ever be whole again should she depart this world now." She turned her attention back to her granddaughter and observed what Elrond was doing.

Elrond looked over his daughter, and could determine no physical reason for his daughter's deep sleep. As a preventive measure he gave her a draught that was meant to fight the infection that was causing the fever gently burning across Arwen's body. He wiped her face and arms with a light salve that was meant to reduce fever. After he finished his ministrations he stood, exhaustion and grief written on his fair face and said, "There's naught else I can do for right now. I can see how she responds to the medications I have given her. But I think Arwen must make the decision to come back to us." He paused for thought, "Right now somebody needs to keep her body temperature down by dampening her every so often with these cloths."

From near the child's cot was heard, "I will do it." Aragorn looked across at his father-in-law. He walked over to the bed still holding his son. He looked around the various people in his bedroom and back to Elrond, "You are finished?" Elrond nodded. "Then, will everyone please leave the room, I wish to be alone with my wife and son." The look in his eye said he would not brook argument, even from Elrond or Galadriel. All consented and Rosie as last one out shut the door behind.

Upon hearing the soft muted click of the door he placed their child in his little cot and did as he had been instructed. Upon finishing, he retrieved their son and placed him on Arwen's chest, so that the newborn could hear his mother's heart beat and she could feel the child's presence. Then Aragorn himself climbed onto the other side of the bed and lay down next to them. He stroked his child's downy hair and whispered in Arwen's ear, "This is our son, my beloved. He has your eyes. Please come back to us so that he can grow up knowing the beautiful soul behind those eyes he shares. We need you and love you more than I can say. Do not leave us. We need you." He paused, "I need you." He repeated this a few more times then lay peacefully singing softly.

Elrond opened the door an hour later to check on Arwen and he found them in the same position, the newborn sleeping upon his mother's chest and Aragorn curled up beside them. He was struck by the tableau and felt anew how wrong he had been to not bless this union. Very quietly he sat, as not to disturb any of the sleeping family. He reached out a hand to stroke Arwen's hair, his voice nothing higher than a tear-choked whisper. "Iell nin! Please forgive me. I am heartily sorry for the pain I have caused you. Please come back to us. I see now that I was wrong to want you to forsake your love for Aragorn. He loves you dearly. And knowing this I think I can just about accept our parting. For a lesser man, I could not. But Aragorn is worthy of you, full of strength and love. I had only just forgotten. Please come back to him. He loves and needs you."

Elrond sat there silently caressing his daughter's cheek until the child upon her breast started to fret, giving all the signs of impending hunger. Elrond reached over and picked up his grandson, "Shh-shh! You don't want to wake your parents, do you? Oh! You are a fine looking young lad, aren't you?" Elrond gazed at the child noticing his not quite-pointed ears and clear deep blue eyes. He already looked intelligent; most Elven babies did, even at this early stage, so it did not surprise Elrond that his daughter's child should also. "Yes! My grandson, you will be a fine man, someday." The child again looked fretful, and Elrond laughed softly, "Well now, let us see what we can find for you to eat."

Aragorn awoke the next morning next to Arwen in bed beside him and he thought it was all a bad dream. But then he noticed her complete stillness and realized sadly that it was not. His next thought was for their son. Just as he was about to leap out bed and start searching for the little one, the door opened and in walked Eowyn carrying the newborn, a bit startled at seeing Aragorn sitting next to Arwen on the bed. "Aragorn!" she recovered quickly, saying "How is Arwen."

Aragorn looked down to stroke his wife's forehead, "Still no change." He uttered softly. He, then gently but quickly rose from the bed and crossed the room in two strides. "How is my son?" he said as he reached for the little bundle. "He is well? Let me hold him." Eowyn relinquished the child, placing him in his father's arms. The child nestled closer to his father, waking briefly and then returning to slumber. Eowyn watched the look of rapt love come over Aragorn's face at once and smiled.

"He is well and fed. Have you thought what to name him yet?" Eowyn inquired.

A look of pain and doubt crossed Aragorn's face, "No!" He said somewhat abruptly, "I wait to discuss it with Arwen when she awakens." He looked sternly at Eowyn.

"I'm sorry, my lord. I did not mean to imply…" Eowyn quickly stated.

Aragorn's face softened, "Forgive me, my lady. I did not mean to be so abrupt. I ask your pardon. I am not quite myself these days."

Eowyn smiled, compassion showing in her eyes, "That is quite all right, my lord. There was no offence taken."

Aragorn nodded and then breathed deeply "But what if…" he stopped himself, eyes shut against the pain. With effort he fought off the negative thought and at length opened his eyes and found Eowyn looking into his face, hand on his arm.

"She will be fine. Just wait and see. She is surrounded by those who love her most. She will come back to us." Eowyn said with perhaps more confidence than she felt, but Aragorn looked so lost at the moment and she wanted to give what comfort she could.

Aragorn looked back at her saying, "Thank you Eowyn. You have been most kind."

Eowyn smiled, "Why don't you leave the child with me and go outside and get a little fresh air. You could probably use it. I will stay and look after Arwen "

Aragorn said, "I cannot leave!"

Eowyn, said, "That was actually not a suggestion but an order sent by Lord Elrond."

Aragorn looked as if he was going to argue more, but Elrond entered at that moment and gave him a look that said not to. Aragorn accepted the unspoken command grudgingly, but did keep firm hold of the child as he made his way toward the door. In this Elrond did not stop him because seeing the look upon the man's face, he knew that to insist upon leaving the infant would have done more harm than good. Aragorn needed the child; it looked as if holding onto the little life was the only thing that was keeping him from collapsing under the strain of it all. Elrond allowed the man to pass by him and into the hall. He looked at Eowyn, who seemed to see the same thing that he had, and sighed deeply shaking his head. He walked over to the bed looked upon his daughter and said gently, "Arwen, Guren, Please come back from wherever you are roaming. Your husband needs you desperately and we all miss you!" At this he lent over and kissed Arwen's fair white brow, removing the cold cloth that had been placed there. Elrond then sat at her side saying, "You must get better. This should not be the ending of your life! You must fight!" He motioned Eowyn forward, "Bring me more cold cloths and a bit more of that salve that we used yesterday." Eowyn rushed to do his bidding.

Elrond looked at his child, "Iell nin! I am sorry for having caused this. Can you forgive me?" He picked up her hand closest to him. "I am here and I won't leave until you awaken and tell me either to never darken your doorstep again, as would be your right considering my unforgivable behaviour or accept my deepest regrets for not understanding the depth of your love for my foster son. Please come back to us." He said kissing her smooth hand on its palm, tears beginning to fall.

***

Arwen looked about her to only to find she was alone in unfamiliar surroundings, yet she did not feel afraid. All round her was an unreal beauty and a pervasive serenity that had no equal in Middle Earth.

She heard a voice that she had not heard in an age, except in her dreams. “Arwen.” Her heart thrilled to the sound; it was her mother.

Arwen spun about searching for the voice, “Naneth! Where are you? I cannot see you.”

“Look into your heart, my child.”

Arwen closed her eyes and thought of her beautiful golden mother. She thought of her soft, gentle and joyous light that had graced their lives until tragedy had struck. She remembered warm embraces and quiet melodies sung in the night. Thought evoked peals of delighted laughter and her father and mother gazing at each other when they thought they went unwatched; a reminiscent tear made its slow way down her pale cheek. She felt a hand smooth the tear away.

“Open your eyes, my child.”

Arwen did as she was bidden and before her not a foot away, stood Celebrian, gently luminescent. “Nana! I have missed you so much!” she exclaimed as she hugged her mother, sobbing.

“Shh-Shh! My precious darling. I have missed you as well.” Celebrian whispered into Arwen’s ear.

Arwen asked the question that was burning in her heart, “Have I died? Where is this place?”

Celebrian broke the hug at that moment and looked into her daughter’s bluish-violet eyes, “You are in the place created of our own conflicting dreams and desires. You have not died, not yet. But you are very close to crossing over that boundary. Your spirit was found wandering and I have been sent to guide you; to help you regain the path of your heart. You have a choice before you. Do you go on and crossover the boundary to the halls of our people where you will find respite from all that has dimmed your spirit or do you go back. Be mindful your choices. You alone know the cost of each. But I will tell this, there are those left behind who are desperately clinging to you. Can you feel them.”

Up until that moment Arwen had only felt the peacefulness and serenity of her surroundings, the pain and sorrows that had brought her to this pass had been utterly assuaged. At her mother’s words a shadow of them returned, shading her light with regret, but along with it, love. A love that filled her heart and would not let her go. That love contained a beauty so bright and so strong, yet the heart that contained it was in pain. She could hear two voices calling her name and could feel darkness falling upon one, a sorrow immeasurable growing in what she knew in the core of her being was her twinned soul. The other voiced a regret so palpable that she ached to grant absolution. All thought of going forward vanished. She knew she must return.

She looked at her mother and realised the path of her heart would sunder them completely. “Naneth” she started.

Celebrian stopped her short, “There is no need to explain, Iell nin. It was my job to guide you back to the path of your heart. What should be, shall be! Be happy. Iell nin. I will love you always.” She leaned forward and kissed Arwen on the forehead. When Arwen looked up again she was gone. The far-off light blazed, beckoning, and Arwen followed.

***


"Ada?"

Elrond stilled at that softly spoken word, hope springing to glorious life as he kissed her palm again. He then looked up and saw Arwen's deep blue eyes looking at him almost in wonder. "Is it really you?" she whispered.

Tears blinding his eyes, Elrond looked at his daughter, "Yes! My child! It is me. I love you. Can you forgive a foolish elf for his misplaced pride?"

"Oh, Ada! Do you really not hate me for what I have chosen," came the pained soft whisper.

Elrond winced at the word "hate" realising afresh the pain and anguish his vanity had caused his daughter, "Oh my child! I do not hate you. I could never hate you. I hate only myself for the pain my foolish behaviour has caused you. You…and Aragorn have my undying love. I understand now why you have decided to forsake the Straight Way and stay with Aragorn. I think I always knew, but I was blinded by bitterness, vanity and my own foolish pride. Forgive me, my daughter?"

At these words a shadow lifted from Arwen's spirit. Her face, previously creased by pain and sorrow, cleared and weak though she still was, a light rekindled behind her eyes. She looked upon her father and smiled, but it was not a pained, sorrowing smile but one of happiness and serenity. "Having given your pardon, there is no way I could ever withhold mine! I love you, Ada!"

"Oh my child!" Elrond squeezed her hand and bent over to kiss both cheeks and her brow, his eyes shining with unshed tears, and then helped as she struggled into a sitting position.

Eowyn, at that moment walked through the door of the bedroom carrying the salve and cloths that Elrond had asked for, she stopped in her tracks, as she beheld the joyful sight. "My lady Arwen! You've awaken!" she half shouted. From outside the room a clattering of footsteps was heard. Aragorn charged into the room still holding their newborn babe.

He never forgot the sight he saw before him. Arwen sitting up in bed, a soft radiance glowing from her eyes and a serenity upon her brow that caused Aragorn's heart to leap up into his throat. At once he at her bedside, speechlessly happy and staring into her deep blue depths. Arwen smiled, and said, "My love, as you see I have returned. I could never leave you for long."

Aragorn's tear-choked voice could only utter, "My love…" Arwen smiled again and cast her eyes downward towards the little bundle in Aragorn's arms.

"Hello! And who might you be?"

Aragorn looked down and suddenly remembered that he carried their child in his arms. "T-This is our son, my love. He has your eyes." His eyes were silver with emotion.

Arwen looked at him knowingly, "I know he does, I remember somebody telling me that somewhere in a dream." Aragorn gazed her, happiness replacing the dread and despair that had resided in his heart for weeks. Arwen reached up and wiped away the tears from her beloved's cheeks. "No tears! There have been too many. I love you, my heart, and I will never go away again." At that Aragorn bent his head to kiss his wife and joy burst in his heart.

A sniffle was heard behind them. Aragorn looked towards the door and spilling into the room were friends and family. He looked from Faramir's beaming face to Eowyn's shining eyes to Legolas' tear-streaked face and found the source of the sniffle. Pippin was rubbing his eyes and trying not to cry, "I'm sorry, Strider, to interrupt such a private family moment but we've all been so worried and I was so happy to hear Arwen was awake. Well, we just had to see for ourselves." He finished rather miserably.

"Oh Pippin! Come here!" He gently handed over their little son to Arwen so he could enclose the hobbit in a great big hug, "Fool of a Took! Don't you know that I consider you family? You call me "Strider" don't you? Only family members can do that! I want to share this happiness with all my family and that includes you, you silly little hobbit."

Pippin's tears cleared and his usual buoyant good cheer returned in spades, "That's all right, then. What are you going to name him, anyway?" Pippin finished with a sunny smile.

Aragorn paused and looked at Arwen, "Well, what do you think?"

Arwen gave it some thought, "Well, considering his elven lineage, why not Eldarion, Son of the Elves. I would wish him to know and cherish his elven heritage. If that is acceptable to you, Ada." Arwen looked at her father who was sitting on the side of the bed.

Elrond eyes filled with tears and he said in a choked voice, "I would really like that." Father and daughter smiled at each other.

Aragorn's heart warmed at the sight then said, "Eldarion, it is then. My love, you'd best get some rest. Here I will return little Eldarion to his cot. The rest of you, shoo!! My wife needs her rest."

Aragorn fussed about like a mother hen tending her chicks rather than the King of the Reunited Kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor. Arwen watched him make sure that little Eldarion was securely bedded down and then he came over to the bed to straighten the bedclothes for the double bed. She said quietly after he fluffed her pillows for the third time, "My love, stop for a minute." When he did not, Arwen tried again, "Estel, stop what you are doing and come here!" Aragorn stopped and looked at her, his eyes starting to glisten. "Come and sit on the bed with me." He put down the blanket that he was folding and climbed onto the bed. "Is there anything you need? I can get it for you!" He moved to get off the bed, Arwen stilled him by placing a hand on his.

She held his eyes and whispered, "No! I just need you to be still while I say what I have to say." Aragorn eyed her anxiously. Arwen continued, placing a hand on Aragorn's cheek, "I'm sorry the worry that I have caused you." Aragorn started to protest, "Yes, I have. I was arrogant and thought myself wiser than you and would not allow you to help me, to comfort me. I am sorry for that, my love. I should never have made that mistake. Forgive me."

"There is nothing to forgive!" Aragorn fervently averred.

"Nevertheless, I am sorry. I know that you went to Imladris to find Ada. Faramir did not say; I guessed. Thank you for what you did. I thought our reconciliation was beyond hope. Obviously I was wrong. I owe you everything, my love." At this she pulled him forward and she covered his face with gentle kisses whispering "thank you" after each kiss, ending with a long lingering kiss on the lips.

After they parted Aragorn said, "You owe me nothing. I love you. I would do anything to bring you happiness. After you would not let me comfort you the morning after Elanor's Tadaura, it was the only thing I could think of doing. I'm sorry for leaving so abruptly, but I wasn't thinking clearly. I thought you were lost to me and the thought almost destroyed me. I had no choice but to go."

Arwen smiled and for a moment was pensive, "How did you convince Ada to come into the Shire? I was convinced he never wanted to see me ever again."

Aragorn looked her straight in the eye and said, "I did the only thing left open to me. I got on my knees and begged him to come and see you." Arwen looked at her husband and saw the truth of his statement, her eyes filling with an indescribable love for this strong, proud man, knowing what it must have taken for him to do such a thing. Aragorn responded to the look, "I would do it again for you. I would do anything for you. Just do not ever close me out like that again. I truly think it would kill me."

"Never, I never shall, my heart!" Arwen first cleared the pepper and salt dark hair off his forehead and kissed him then she took first his right hand and kissed the front and then the palm, and she did the same with the left hand. She drew him toward her and kissed his tears away, whispering "I love you" many, many times.

Aragorn then kissed her brow, saying softly, "I love you so much. When I saw you lying lifeless here yesterday, I could not bear to see it. I felt my will to live slowly ebbing away. It frightened me. It was only Eldarion who kept me rooted to the here and now. He needed me." As if little Eldarion knew he was being talked about, he gave a short wail. Aragorn smiled ruefully and got up to fetch the boy out of his cot and placed him on the bed between his two parents. Arwen looked at her son, "What's the matter, Lhuneg nin, Hmmm?" Eldarion stopped wailed and gurgled contentedly and then promptly fell asleep. Aragorn returned him to his cot.

"Nothing, just wanted a bit of attention didn't you my lad!" Aragorn said smiling, looking suspiciously at the newborn and kissed the boy's fuzzy little head laughing softly. Aragorn moved to Arwen side, he bent down and kissed Arwen on the forehead. "I will leave you to rest and recover your strength, my love. I have a feeling that in the coming years ahead we are going to need it to keep with this little man."

"I think you are probably right."

Aragorn smiled, " Rest well, my beloved."

***************

Lhuneg nin = My little blue one





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List