Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Changes and Acceptances  by Mirkwoodmaiden

Menelwie's Page-all things LOTR

Chapter 11 - What grace is given me...

The next morning…

Arwen awoke feeling refreshed and alive. She turned her head and saw that Aragorn was still asleep. She noticed that how in sleep his worry lines lessened but did not disappear entirely. Over the last five years the gray in his hair had increased in direct proportion to the vast cares and responsibilities he had been forced to shoulder by Fate, but he took it all in and never shirked in his duties. She felt an overwhelming wave of love for this man, who gave so much of himself. She only hoped that she could give back to him a fraction of what he gave to others. Their last few years together had not been easy ones, but those days were gone and it was time to start looking forward. A small whimper was heard across the room and Arwen shifted her attention toward her son. She smiled and gently extracted herself from twisted bedclothes, placing her feet gingerly on the floor. It was her first time out of bed since birthing the boy and she was a little unsure of how steady she was going to be on her feet, but she was determined to see to the needs of her child. "I have had enough of this invalid life, I will be fine," she muttered under her breath. Having stood she did feel a bit lighted-headed but she was confident that would pass. She stepped delicately towards the child's cot.

Eldarion looked up his mother with those selfsame deep blue eyes shading onto violet. She thought she saw intelligence dawning in the young eyes as she reached down to stroke the boy's soft downy hair. Elven children began showing intelligence very early on and it would not surprise her if Eldarion should show similar rapid development. "Oh my little love, Lhuneg nin! You are the most special child in the world. Do you know that? Yes, you are." Eldarion started to fret a little more so Arwen then reached in and with a bit of an effort pulled the boy out of the cot. She felt a bit winded, so she sat down in the rocking chair next to the cot and said "Are you hungry, meletheg?" It seemed to her that Eldarion gurgled his assent so she started to nurse the boy.

Aragorn had awaken while Arwen was getting out of bed and thought to stop her as she was still too weak to be out and about. But while she was still weak in body, her spirit was now strengthening all the time and he could not bring himself to stop her from performing this simple task. Two days ago, he thought he might never see her stand or hold her child, so it would be churlish of him to stop her now. He lay quiet listening to her whispered monologue with their son and contentment began to grow in his heart.

After a few minutes Eldarion was happily suckling and Arwen was looking down at him softly singing an Elven lullaby.

"You look absolutely beautiful." She heard Aragorn's voice say. She looked at a bit startled, "I did not know you were up!"

"I've only just awaken to a beautiful Elven lullaby." With this he got out of bed to stand over the rocking chair gazing at mother and son. He cast an approving eye over his son, "he really is special, isn't he?" Arwen merely nodded her assent and kept on singing the lullaby.

Aragorn tried to be firm, "But you really should be in bed!"

Arwen softly replied, "True, but since when have I ever done exactly what I was told."

Aragorn laughed silently, "That much is most certainly true and I would not have you any other way!" He kissed the top of her head and pulled a chair up to sit at her side. Little Eldarion seemed to have his fill and let out a big burp.

Aragorn laughed, "I never realised that such a small person could make such as a large noise. My little man, I can see you are going to be full of surprises."

Arwen sat there burping the child when a knock at their door sounded. Without bothering to wait for a reply, a dark head appeared, "Mind if we join you? Or is this a private party?" Elladan quipped. "There's the little prince, now!" he walked over to the rocking chair and looked down upon his nephew, "He is beautiful! And so is his mother." At this Elladan, normally so flippant and merry, choked up a little saying, "Muintheleg! so good it is to see you well!" he then smiled and the cloud passed from his face.

"I know we should wait for the blessing, but we just couldn't," Elrohir said as he walked to the other side of the rocking chair near to Aragorn's chair, "We wanted to make sure you got this before the blessing. We thought the little lad might be needing it," And from behind his back he pulled a soft package tied up with a forest green ribbon. Elrohir placed it on Arwen's lap and bent to kiss her on the forehead, when he stood he tried to surreptitiously wipe a tear from his eye. Arwen handed the baby to Aragorn and proceeded to unwrap the package. When she saw what was within the wrappings, she looked up at her two brothers and her eyes glistened with happiness. "We did not think that you had had time to have one made, so…" Elrohir started sheepishly.

"Thank you, I did not think that we going to have one for little Eldarion."

Arwen then held up a beautiful woven blessing blanket, that in Elven tradition was always an infant's first gift. The blanket was interwoven with of many different hues of a brilliant dark blue trimmed with white. The names of ancestors and current family members were woven into the fabric with strands of mithril and elven runes for good fortune, happiness and protection were woven along the trim of the blanket with the self same threads of mithril causing the blanket to give off a gentle glow. It was tradition that a blanket was woven anew for each child. The newborn was thereby symbolically protected and surrounded by the heritage of his people and the love of his family.

"How did you…?" Arwen started.

"Get it made." Elrohir finished for her. "Well, there are some astonishingly good weavers here in Hobbiton and when we first arrived we knew you were going to need one. The mithril we brought from home in hopes that we would be able to find someone who would be willing to weave it. And if the child had not been born yet at least we would have it to give to you for when he was born. Do you like it?" he finished tentatively looking at both his foster brother and his sister. Arwen was stroking each name and rune so carefully done and a new respect for Hobbit handcrafts was kindled, "It's beautiful. Thank you."

***

A combining of Noldorin and Sylvan traditions over the centuries held that the child be given a blessing began by the elders of the family and completed by those closest to them within days of the birth of the child. Because Arwen's health had been in doubt the family ceremony had been postponed. Now with Arwen recovering, Aragorn had decided that it was time for the small ceremony. Though he was of the race of Men Aragorn had been raised in Imladris and many private practices of the Elves were ingrained within him, this ceremony being chief among them. Eldarion would be raised among Men and taught their ways. They were the future of Middle Earth, but that did not mean that his upbringing would exclude Elven teachings and practices at least within the privacy of the family.

The blessing as required by tradition had to take place amid the winds of Manwe. The most natural place for it to be held would have been the woods close to the house but as Arwen was still not well enough to be out of bed for long periods of time it was decided that the rose garden would serve as the setting for the blessing well enough. Friends and family in fact that included all that now inhabited Bag End gathered in the enclosed garden of Bag End to listen to Celeborn as the elder of the family begin the bestowing of the blessing upon little Eldarion.

All stood in a circle. Celeborn came forth and stood beside Arwen and gathered up the child wrapped the dark blue blessing blanket and looked into the infant's eyes saying, "Blessings upon you, my great-grandson. May you grow to honour all living things, seeing in them worth and beauty." He dipped a finger into a small bowl of oils made from herbs grown only in Gondor garnered from Aragorn. "With this oil you are held bound to the land which you shall serve and protect." At this he traced the shape of two intersecting figure eights to symbolise the interconnectedness of all life upon Eldarion's forehead. "Our family welcomes you into the fold and may you bring only light and goodness into the circle of your family and friends."

He next passed the newborn to Aragorn, who repeated the Elven blessing changing only a few essential words, "Blessings upon you, my son. May you grow to honour all living things, seeing in them worth and beauty." He then traced the same symbol of intersecting figure eights on his son's forehead. Eldarion was gently passed along the circle each naming their relationship to the boy within the blessing, be they friend or family and each tracing the symbol upon the boy's brow. When it was little Elanor's turn, for children were not excluded from this rite, Rosie helped her trace the symbol upon the infant's head and the little girl added a kiss on the cheek of the little boy, much to the approval of all assembled. Arwen incanted her blessing and handed the child up to Galadriel as elder along with Celeborn to complete the circle. The Lady of the Golden Wood spoke the blessing, "Blessings upon you, my great-grandson, May you grow to honour all living things, seeing in them worth and beauty. After tracing the symbol of life, she ended the blessing by saying, "May you be strong, just and wise all the days of your life. May your heart know compassion for others and the resolve to do what is right." Just then a spring zephyr, warm and sweet, blew through the garden. Galadriel bent to kiss the little brow of her great-grandson. When she unbent, Frodo could never be sure, but he thought he saw the hint of a tear in the ageless blue eyes, but in a blink it was gone. He realised then that Galadriel was likely never to see the child grow into maturity. Her blessing was consequently then the only thing she might ever be able to give to the child. It was sad in a way. The Elves had fought long and died in the efforts to keep the peace in Middle Earth and by achieving it were they were the perpetrators of their own diminishment. They were leaving it, knowing their time was over. The thought was a sobering one and it gave him pause.

His train of thought was broken when he heard Aragorn say, "I am very happy that those closest to me are here to share this time us." Aragorn looked at the circle of his friends and family, Hobbits, Men, Dwarves and Elves, so different yet bonded through adversity into a family. His eyes stopped at Frodo, "Hannon le. I'm glad we are all here together." Aragorn looked at him almost as if he knew what was beginning to take root in Frodo's mind.

Rosie then spoke up and in good hobbit tradition suggested they retire inside and share the midday meal. Thusly the solemnity of the moment was broken and a general feeling of well being shaped the rest of the day.

***

Over the next few weeks Arwen and Aragorn continued to reside at Bag End and enjoyed the peacefulness of a Shire spring surrounded by their closest friends and family. Arwen grew stronger in body and the light within began again to glisten with the near same intensity that caused her to be called Undomiel, Evenstar of her people.

She sat leaning, arms back upon the bank that overlooked the stream, with her eyes closed, allowing her soul to drink in the warmth of the sun, the sounds of the water and textures of the earth beneath her and become refreshed by it on this late spring day in May. Arwen sat there in tranquil communion for many moments reveling in the sheer joy of it all. She sighed contentedly as she realised that she could now look upon the future than she had chosen for herself without it being tarnished by regret and doubt. She realised there was always likely to be sorrows in store for her, but no longer did these thoughts threaten to tear apart the fabric of her soul.

She sensed someone near and turned to see who it was.

"Grabbing a few quiet moments before another feeding, I see." Legolas sat down cross-legged next to her, wearing only his under tunic of fine white cotton lawn and leggings, all else had been discarded due the warmth of the day and the security of their surroundings.

"Eowyn has allowed me this time by looking after the young ones for an hour or two. She insisted, saying that I might as well take advantage of the peace and quiet, while I still could. I found the words wise and decided to heed them. So as young Pippin would say, 'I got out of dodge' " Arwen smiled.

Legolas laughed merrily, "That certainly is our Pippin!" he said fondly, as he began to casually play with the grass underfoot. He plucked a particularly long blade of grass and with a practiced hand he rolled it length-wise and brought the blade to his mouth and blew. A short sharp whistle sounded and then died out. Arwen looked at him, curiosity evident. Legolas looked completely delighted. "I haven't done that in years! And it still works!" With a big grin on his face, he announced, "Ah! The things we used to do as children in Mirkwood. We could spend hours like this." Arwen laughed. Legolas looked at her, blue eyes full of delight, "It is so good to hear you laughing again, mellon nin!"

"It is good to be laughing again," Arwen replied with a jubilant look in her eyes.

"How are you today? Better?"

"Yes, as if I could be anything else, with everyone hovering over me like a flock of mother hens!" Arwen said half teasingly, half seriously. Legolas went quiet and stared at the stream. Arwen noticed this mercurial shift and quickly said placing a hand on Legolas' lower arm, "Mellon nin! I am sorry. I was only teasing, I did not mean to sound ungrateful."

Legolas turned back to her, his blue eyes shaded with remembered pain, "You have nothing to be sorry about. It is I who am sorry, I can still see you lying on the bed lifeless. It harrowed my very soul to see you like that. I do not think I shall forget it. But," in another mercurial shift, Legolas' eyes lightened and his smile grew across his face, "you are here now, bright and alive attesting that they are only memories!" he leaned over and kissed Arwen on the cheek, laughing, for joy had returned to his heart.

"All right! Elf! Enough of this kissing my wife!"

Legolas looked up and saw Aragorn coming down the bank side towards them, "She is too beautiful for just one alone! You must share!"

Aragorn sat next to Arwen, having eyes only for his ethereal wife, "No, In this I mean to completely selfish! She is mine!" At this they kissed long and lingeringly forgetting all else existed until they heard a certain "ahem." They broke apart and Aragorn looked at a beaming Legolas, "What? Are you still here, Elf?" Begone with you!" Aragorn said, his eyes twinkling.

Legolas got up and with an ear-to-ear grin, swept a low bow, "At once, Elessar! Your wish is my command!" he said and spun on his bare-footed heel and hummed happily to himself as he returned to the house.

Aragorn and Arwen had barely noticed as their lips joined once again, losing all sense of time and place, happy just that they were together again.

*****************

Author's note:The blessing ceremony is the product of my own imagination, as was the Tadaura celebrations in Ch. 6, but after reading what the Professor had to say about Elves in the HoME about their strong feelings about family and familiar ties I think that the ceremony fits in with at least the spirit of the Elves even it is not canonical. Besides it was great fun to think up and write about! :-))

Lhuneg nin = My little blue one

meletheg = My little love





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List