Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Darkness is more than the absence of light  by Laikwalâssê

Chapter 5: a special mission

As was his wont, Lord Erestor was sitting in the dining room facing the great window to the east, waiting for the sun to rise. He was sipping his favourite herbal tea and watching the valley start the day.

Always an early riser, he enjoyed the wee hours before the bustling of the day started. With the Peredhil family away at Tharbad the house was much quieter than usual, yet the valley still awaited the remaining elves to start the day.

With Master Elrond and Lord Glorfindel gone, Erestor oversaw the community and so enjoyed, more than usually, the still quiet moments of the day.

The dark-haired elf did not outwardly react when the door opened and Lindir, Elrond´s assistant, entered and poured himself his own tea. Lindir knew that Erestor didn´t appreciate a disturbance until the sun was up and so, hearing only a muttered `good morning, ` he answered the same.

Erestor closed his eyes when the door opened again and another elf, a bit out of breath, entered. He instantly sensed a problem.

“Lord Erestor, a pigeon has just arrived with a missive for you. The seal is from Master Elrond.”

Before standing up from his high-backed chair Erestor took a deep breath. Messages via pigeon were sent only when something had happened which required prompt assistance.

He took the rolled parchment from the elf.

“Is the bird waiting for an answer?”

The runner shook his head. “No, my Lord, it flew back right away.”

Erestor inclined his head. The messenger elf bowed and left. The dark-haired elf turned and resumed his seat. Lindir lingered in the background in the event Erestor would need his assistance.

Erestor waited a minute longer before he opened the tiny rolled parchment. Something drastic indeed must have happened, otherwise Elrond would not have used this method of contacting him.

Carefully and slowly, he began to read the neatly written lines; unmistakably the healer´s handwriting.

`Erestor,

 

In consequence of a few unfortunate events concerning my children, I need your assistance in a matter of justice.

Elladan is accused of the murder of a young man involved in an assault on Arwen. While trying to rescue his sister Elladan killed the man in self-defence…..

 

Erestor inhaled sharply. Assault on Arwen? Trying to rescue? The dark-haired elf was very good in reading between the lines. What had happened to the peredhil family? Who dared to attack the daughter of Elrond? The word ´tried´ evoked a very bad feeling in his stomach.

Some situation seemed had gotten out of hand, otherwise Elrond would not require his services. Letting his breath out slowly, he continued to read.

 

…………. The dead young man was the son of the mayor. Unfortunately, both the mayor and the judge are unapproachable for any arguments. Elladan was arrested immediately and I have had no chance to speak with him. The caring for my daughter requires much of my power and I fear that the situation will spin out of control soon. The judge is harbouring some grudge against elves, or me particularly.

Tomorrow there will be a hearing and I hope to get some insight into the occurrences. They accuse Elladan of murder because the knife Elladan saw threatening Elrohir is not to be found….

 

Erestor closed his eyes.  He understood what the healer was not writing. Arwen had been raped, or there had been an attempt to do so and Elrond had much to do to prevent the youngster from fading. He was also sure Elladan had not imagined the knife and that some conspiracy was taking place here.

 

…. I would appreciate your coming immediately. I need a fresh and un-biased mind to investigate and plead for Elladan.

 

Elrond

 

Erestor kept sitting a while longer. His mind was already working how he would and could help effectively.

When required, he acted as the healer´s diplomat in matters concerning contact between the valley and the outer world. Elrond was a Master of Diplomacy himself, but Erestor had the ability to shut out any emotions and look at all the facts impartially.

The healer was emotionally involved in this instance, and he knew it. Therefore, he needed him - an unbiased mind.

Aware that Lindir was still waiting, Erestor rose.

“I will leave immediately. The peredhil family has met with trouble and they need my assistance. I will need a few books. Would you be so kind as to gather them for me?”

A bit nonplussed by the seneschal´s direct and curt manner, Lindir simply nodded.

“They are not harmed, I hope?” he asked.

 “That remains to be seen,” Erestor answered.  Knowing that no one, and surely not he, would get more out of the close-lipped elf, Lindir turned after Erestor had named the required books.

Erestor gathered his robe and strode out of the room, down the corridor. He slipped into his room and closed the door.

His mind was already working. What had really happened and why were the rulers of Tharbad so obstinate? He narrowed his eyes while he took out a travel bag. Carefully, he chose what he would take with him.

Even if he was willing to get his own impression, he did not doubt that Elladan had acted in self-defence. The sons of Elrond could be a nuisance from time to time and Elladan especially was a hotspur, but never would he kill in cold blood or from base motives.

There had to be more to this story, and he was determined to find out.

Just when he had closed his bag, a knock sounded on the door.

“Enter.”

Lindir came in and handed over the three books Erestor wanted.

“Please prepare Bregcel for me. I will leave within the hour.”

Seeing many questions in the young elf’s eyes, Erestor wordlessly handed the healer´s message over.

While reading Lindir let out a silent cry of fright. Swallowing he looked up.

“Poor Arwen and Elladan arrested? What´s happening there?”

Erestor slung the bag over his shoulder.

“This I´m going to find out.”

Lindir bowed and handing the parchment back he asked, “Will you need a pack horse?”

Erestor shook his head.

“No, haste is required, and it will slow me down. I will travel light.”

Lindir inclined his head.

“As you wish. You horse will be ready within the hour. May your journey be uneventful and your mission successful.”

 

Erestor nodded his thanks. When Lindir had left, he lingered a few minutes longer and took a deep breath. After centring his mind, he attached a knife to his belt and hid another in his boot. His long sword was belted quickly.

The weight was instantly familiar, and the cool steel sang to him. How long had it been since he had carried the weapon, let alone used it? He was not looking forward to changing this, yet he would uncompromisingly do it when required. Fighting skills acquired long ago were still present. Even if he was willing to use his sharp mind and hopefully solve the conflict with the power of his tongue, he would leave no room for interpretation.

 

Hearing his mare whinny, he strode out of the room and closed the door with a determined tug.

Before the sun had fully risen, he had already left the valley and turned east, taking the route over the mountains into the vale where Tharbad was located.

To be continued………………………

 

 

 

      





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List