Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Relapse  by Periantari

Chapter 4-Ceremony for the Dead

It took four full days to make adequate preparations for the funeral ceremony for Steward Denethor, Captain Boromir, and other fallen soldiers and civilians. The Council, King, Steward, and Prince Imrahil decided to have a small ceremony to read out the names of the fallen and light special candles for Denethor and Boromir to honor them. They announced to all of Minas Tirith to come and a good number of citizens came to honor the dead. Faramir thought it was hard to express his feelings but he would try to do his best despite the heaviness he felt. All the Fellowship were   present. 

The ceremony was arranged in the typical colors of Gondor- white and black. The weather had cooperated with the sun and clear skies. They held the open ceremony where the King was crowned. During the ceremony, there were somber moments of silence, followed by lighting of large white candles  Two larger white candles dedicated to Denethor and Boromir  which were arranged in the front. Flowers were also strewn in front by those who have lost loved ones. There were also letters to heaven to loved ones that have passed. 

The King started with the remarks, “We come here today to honor the fallen. We come together to remember our Steward Denethor, Lord Boromir. Let it not be forgotten how much they have given this city. Let us remember the sacrifices that were made for this moment to come. It is Lord Denethor who kept all of us safe against the Enemy and we must remember his ultimate sacrifice.”

Faramir continued, “I’ve been called to continue the legacy that our Steward created. He was a wise man, noble, strong, and loved our country with all his heart. He gave Gondor his all and may he rest in peace knowing that. May we not forget how he led us all these years under the Shadow. HIs strength was unsurpassed; he was the greatest leader we have seen and I will remember him as a strong and fair father. He taught me wisdom, strength, and justice. He raised Boromir and I to love Gondor, to serve her to our best capability. May his spirit rest with the Valar, beyond the confines of the world! “

Faramir paused, tears gathering but he went on, “For my brother, Boromir– he— will be missed for his strength, wisdom, and companionship. May we never forget his sacrifice to find the truth. Let us never forget the sacrifices he made to retake Osgiliath and to lead our armies in combat. With his leadership, we kept the Enemy away. WIth his tactics, he led with foresight and skill in making the toughest decisions. As a brother, he was the best role model I can ever wish to have. His companionship is sorely missed. He taught us all about what strength means and may Gondor flourish forever more. I loved him more than life, brother of my heart forever. We…everyone would be so lucky to have a brother as I did, and ….“ Faramir paused, tears gathering, but he continued, “and I wish him rest in peace.”

“We need to also honor all the fallen soldiers and their families.  Remember them every Gondorian New Year, we shall light candles for them. May this day be remembered as the Day of Remembrance every year.”

And then, Aragorn and Faramir led the people to sing for the fallen.The Gondorians sang, weeping with heads down.

“My thoughts will return to the sound of your laughter

The magic of moving as one

And a time we'll remember long ever after

The moonlight and music and dancing are done

Will we climb the hills once more?

Will we walk the woods together?

Will I feel you holding me close once again?

Will every song we've sung stay with us forever?

Will you dance in my dreams or my arms until then?”

Under the moon the mountains lie sleeping

Over the lake the stars shine

They wonder if you and I will be keeping

The magic and music, or leave them behind.”**

Then, Aragorn sang the song he dedicated to Boromir at the Falls of Rauros:

"From the Gate of Kings the North Wind rides, and past the roaring falls;

And clear and cold about the tower its loud horn calls.

"What news from the North, O mighty wind, do you bring to me today?

What news of Boromir the Bold? For he is long away."

"Beneath Amon Hen I heard his cry. There many foes he fought.

His cloven shield, his broken sword, they to the water brought.

His head so proud, his face so fair, his limbs they laid to rest;

And Rauros, golden Rauros-falls, bore him upon its breast."

"O Boromir! The Tower of Guard shall ever northward gaze

To Rauros, golden Rauros-falls, until the end of days."***

Then, Pippin said a few words each about Boromir, “I knew he was a good Big Person- as we say in my country. He taught my kinsman and I how to fight. He was a loyal member of our Fellowship. He kept the mood light and protected us. He fought bravely during the last stand against the Enemy, and I’m sure he loved all of you. May he rest in peace in the Halls of Mandos. Boromir the Brave, I will always honor him, and serve Gondor always in your memory.”

Members of the Council and Prince Imrahil were each assigned to read all the names of the fallen soldiers taking a good half hour.


Faramir felt heavy at heart and tears gathered and he wept silently. Aragorn was beside him, his arm on his shoulder. The hobbits were also beside him.

“I hope that you will come to me, if you need, my friend. We will get through this together,” said Aragorn.

“You spoke well. We will always remember the sacrifices Denethor and Boromir made,” added Frodo solemnly.

“You represent them as we usher in a new age of hope and peace. Let their sacrifices be rewarded with you in their stead to do well for Gondor,” said Gandalf. He had always admired Denethor’s younger son and  developed a great bond with him. That was the reason why he listened to Pippin to save Faramir in the critical moment when he had to choose between continuing to lead the defense or to come to the aid of Faramir. He did not decide lightly on what to do at that time. He was sad he could not save Denethor but glad he saved Faramir and it would be important to have him by Aragorn’s side for rebuilding Gondor and Middle-earth.

“Thank you,” Faramir felt relieved and grateful for his new friends, but he couldn't help the anxious thoughts that continued to chase each other in his mind.

Later that day, there was a ceremonial feast to honor the fallen. While there was food and drink aplenty, Faramir did not feel like staying to entertain. He toasted to his brother and father in the typical fashion in the beginning in front of the guests. Then, he asked permission from the King to be excused and went back to his home early. 

“Will you be alright?” the King asked before Faramir left. 

“I just need some time and space,” replied Faramir. “Thank you for continuing this–I am just weary.”

“Why of course- we know that it has been a long day and I thank you for your planning in this. We would not have had this without your contributions.”

“Yes, it's the least I can do–but please excuse me. I will report earlier tomorrow to see if there is anything left to be done.”

“It’s all right, Faramir, go rest. Let me know if you need more of the sleeping draught as well.” Aragorn’s eyes looked at Faramir with sympathy and his eyes trailed the Steward with concern.

Faramir could not sleep at all that night after the funeral and relied on the wine to help him numb at least some of the pain. At least he can fall asleep somewhat inebriated to make him forget his despair temporarily. The next morning would be another story but first he had to get through the night when unexpected dreams emerged .


Faramir did not know what to do with Boromir and Denethor’s personal items. They had no formal body to bury their things with. Did he keep all the items in storage or burn it? . He had to make a decision.

He looked through his brother’s items with admiration; he saw his clothing, swords, and jewelry all arrayed neatly in the room. He felt that he wanted to keep everything there for memory's sake. He saw an old fencing sword, reminding him of their first lesson together, and tears welled in his eyes. Another item-  a picture of them when they first enlisted in the army arm in arm, smiling as they entered manhood. What does one do with the memories and items of the past?

He was not ready to completely let go and get rid of his family’s items.. Everything seemed to be happening too fast. Therefore, he ordered the servants to put many items in storage except for many of Denethor’s clothing, which he felt he could do without. The items in his office were also prepared to be thrown out. Denethor had already dealt with most of Boromir’s clothing at least but certain personal items were still left in the room. Faramir wondered  about  that but did not want to think further about what Denethor would want with Boromir’s items.

Funerals were supposed to be a time for closure.  Faramir wanted to decide which of at least his brother’s belongings served as a good keepsake, a memory. He wanted to sort that out when he didn’t feel so sorrowful. There was too much loss to deal with at the moment.

Thinking about these decisions made Faramir’s heart melancholy again and an unexpected headache started to occur. He tried to get rid of it by massaging his head and drinking some water but the headache remained. Then he got up and started to pace but it did not alleviate his anxiety. Finally after an hour of pacing, his headache abated a little, and he felt weary enough to fall into an uneasy sleep full of increasingly dark dreams.

**Song from Ashokan Farewell- Jay Ungar

*** from “The Two Towers”

…TBC…






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List