Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Chapter 31.  Inner Turmoil Remains

By the time the Elves had completed their work, the gardens of Minas Tirith were once again filled with the rainbow coloured finery of sweetly scented flowers in bloom, the common areas were carpeted with lush green grasses and strong young saplings lined many of the wider streets leading to the palace. There was little left for Legolas to do, other than complete Arwen’s private garden when the seedlings from Imladris arrived and since it would likely take several more weeks for the messenger to return with the plants that grew nowhere else on Arda, he decided to return to Ithilien to wait.

There was no denying that the White City was beautiful in its own way, but the Elf found the stone walls and constant demands of courtly behaviour to be far too confining for a nature loving soul such as he possessed. Legolas yearned for the freedom he found among the trees and in the free spirits of his own kind, yet it was with some reluctance that he took his leave from Aragorn and Gimli, for he knew they did not wish hem to leave. They had spent many pleasant evenings enveloped in the warmth of friendship as they sat in the large study in the house that Aragorn had provided, either reminiscing about their adventures, or discussing their plans for the future. Neither the King nor the Dwarf realised how painful such talk had become for Legolas who could only think of just how short their lives would be, and how he would grieve their loss.

An arrow of guilt pierced his heart as he passed through the gates for he suddenly felt as if a burden had been lifted from it as he left them, and the promises he no longer knew if he could keep, behind. He cast a longing glance to the south, imagining he could see the mithril white gulls in the distance, and for an instant he considered travelling down the Anduin rather than crossing it at Osgiliath. He sighed with resignation as he allowed the sense of responsibility he felt for  Tathar and the other Elves who eagerly anticipated his return to Ithilien to deter him from seeking the sea this time, but he did not know how much longer he would be able to resist.

The air shimmered with the heat haze of the Midsummer afternoon and even the Elves, who were not really affected by the warmth, decided to stop work for the day and join the Rangers in the coolness to be found in the shade beneath the trees. The sounds of soft laughter and murmured conversations drifted up on the gentle summer breeze that played about Legolas and Tathar who had chosen instead to sit on the balcony of their talan and study the view their location afforded of the treetops and the river beyond.

“I have missed you, mellon nin,” Legolas said  as he turned to smile affectionately at Tathar, who returned the smile in kind,  thankful that his friend had found some measure of peace in the renewing forest. The younger Elf’s demeanour appeared cheerful, but Tathar sensed that his love of nature had been somewhat diminished since he heard the gulls calling him home, and his concern for Legolas had not lessened. In unguarded moments he had caught the haunted look that surfaced from the depths of his younger friend’s heart, dimming the normal brightness of his eyes.

“I have missed you too, mellon nin, and I am certain Aragorn and Gimli will miss your presence,” Tathar ventured, unsure if Legolas wished to speak of the ones who were partly causing him pain. Legolas nodded and smiled sadly knowing what Tathar wanted. They had not spoken of the sea, nor of his heartache since the feast many months ago but at present he was reluctant to discuss that particular topic, even with the brother of his heart.

“Possibly, but his responsibilities and duties as King leave little time for hours spent idly in the company of friends. Besides, it is past time I looked to the needs of my own settlement. It pleases me that more Elves make their way here, but that means more telain have to be built and more crops planned. Also we have the haven to finish, and although the light of the forest shines a little brighter, there is still a lot of healing we can perform.”

“Ai, the task ahead seems endless,” agreed Tathar, his mind eased a little by the genuine enthusiasm Legolas displayed. “And seeing them done will hopefully keep you distracted from your inner turmoil”.

“Just so, and I have developed a deeper respect for my grandsire and Adar. Establishing a new colony is not as easy as Adar made it seem, even with the assistance of the Rangers,” Legolas admitted. Tathar nodded agreement, and was about to comment further when Faramir appeared below in quite an agitated state and asked permission to join his two friends.

The Prince of Ithilien was a regular visitor to the elvish colony, and had arrived earlier that morning bearing another of Prince Imrahil’s invitations for Legolas to spend some time at Dol Amroth. The letter had been read and the offer again politely refused, as had the many others of a like nature, much to Tathar’s relief. He agreed with Gimli that it would not be wise for their friend to travel any where near the sea in his present frame of mind.

The Dwarf had easily sensed the Elf’s distress whilst he was still in Minas Tirith and had come to Ithilien barely a few days after Legolas’s return in part to satisfy his curiousity regarding the new colony, but mostly to make sure his friend had arrived safe and well. Gimli had spent a few pleasant days with Legolas, and it was before he took his leave to travel to Aglarond that he and Tathar had spoken privately of their growing concern for their troubled friend and their mutual feeling of helplessness in the face of Legolas’s despair.

“What do you make of that strange haze in the air that seems to be floating down the Anduin?” the Steward asked the Elves as he pointed to the north. The disquiet in his voice suggested he thought there was some evil afoot.

“Elvish eyes do not see what you do, son of Gondor,” Legolas gently reminded Faramir after a quick glance in the direction indicated. Neither Elf saw any kind of strangeness in the air or on the river, but they exchanged smiles of delight at what they did see.

“You say that it seems as if the air is dancing before your eyes, yet all I see are four elven craft gliding gracefully along the waters.” Faramir breathed a sigh of relief as he squinted harder to see the boats that he readily accepted were as Legolas described.

“They are still to far away for me to see. Are they from Eryn Lasgalen?” he asked.

“Ai, three of the boats have some of our River Elves at the oars, but Elladan and Elrohir paddle the other, if I am not mistaken,” added Tathar, his eyes glittering with excitement. “We must row out to meet them and guide them to our haven,” he added,  already beginning to climb down the rope ladder that served as access to and from the talan. Legolas and Faramir followed close behind, and in a matter of minutes, one of the two elegant Lothlórien boats that they had retrieved from near the Falls of Rauros was headed out to meet the new arrivals.

There were smiles of greeting all around, and to everyone’s amusement, the sons of Elrond almost managed to capsize their boat as they waved wildly to Legolas and Tathar. It was only the reflexes and skill of the River Elf in the boat beside them that prevented the disaster, and saved them and their precious cargo of plants for their sister’s garden from falling into the cool waters of the Anduin. The boats were quickly pulled ashore in the unfinished havens, and as the others moved off with their friends and loved ones, Elrohir blocked the path of the elder Elf and offered his thanks.

“You have our deepest gratitude,” Elrohir said for them both as he and his brother bowed respectfully to their rescuer.

“Think nothing of it, it is not uncommon for such a mishap to befall the inexperienced, is it?” the Elf asked exchanging a knowing glance with Legolas and Tathar.

“Nay, but at least you managed to keep them dry,” pouted Tathar who well recalled the incident the elder was referring to. He and Legolas were learning to row in separate boats, and against instructions from their tutor, engaged in a game of trying to push one another from their seats. Both overbalanced and fell into the Forest River which at that time was ice cold from the spring thaw and cold even to elvish senses.

“I regret that I was not quick enough to prevent you two from taking a swim in the waters that soon cooled your youthful exuberance.” The lack of sincerity was easily heard in the teasing voice.

“I now wonder whether our friend there deliberately let us capsize when he was teaching us to row,” commented Legolas, his suspicion confirmed by a slight reddening of the River Elf’s ears.

“Ah, but he only had King Thranduil’s wrath to deal with, which I imagine is nowhere near as fearsome as Arwen’s,” observed Elladan with playful disrespect for his beloved sister, causing a burst of laughter from all who heard his words.

“These are Lothlórien built craft, are they not? How is it that you have brought them here?” asked Legolas, suddenly curious. The Elf who had once been their teacher explained that when they had approached the King for permission to move to Ithilien, he had contacted Lord Celeborn who had readily offered the boats as a gift to the new colony.

“And how is it you come to be travelling in such roguish company?” Tathar asked of the Elf, indicating he meant Elladan and Elrohir with a slight tilt of his head towards the two.

“”Rogues’ are we?” demanded Elrohir with mock anger.

“More like ‘incorrigible rogues’, to my mind,” teased Legolas.

“Well that is a better description,” Elladan joked with a grin that was in no way innocent.

“I will have you know we were already on our way here and had merely stopped to pay our respects to our grandsire when your friends arrived. We saw no reason not to join their party,” explained Elrohir such an outrageously haughty attitude that even Elladan could not help but join in the merry laughter of the others.

“Then  since you are here, perhaps you would care to stay tonight and journey to  Minas Tirith with me in the morn. I promised Arwen I would return to finish her garden when the seedlings were delivered,” Legolas told the brethren. Elladan and Elrohir willingly accepted the invitation and to the delight of all, Thranduil has also seen fit to send a few barrels of wine from his private cellar whilst Tariel had sent some of her ‘special’ pastries.  A jovial mood descended on the forest and that evening as a grand feast was held to welcome the new comers.

“My Prince, a word if I may?” asked one of the new arrivals as he drew Legolas to one side so that they could speak in private. The prince recognised the Elf as the son of one of Thranduil’s advisors and nodded, indicating he was listening.

“King Thranduil asked me to inform you that he wishes to visit Ithilien, and will do so shortly. He would have travelled with us, but he was expecting the arrival of a delegation from East Lórien. He also asked me to relay his deep affection for you and to say that he eagerly awaits your next meeting.” Legolas thanked the messenger and then stood for a long moment gazing at the stars shone on both Eryn Lasgalen and Ithilien this night, linking Adar and son just as surely as did the song in their hearts.

 

“Come to me before it is too late,” Legolas silently begged Thranduil, suddenly feeling the need for the comfort only to be found in his Adar’s arms.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List