Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Baggins!  by Grey Wonderer

By His Side: Gandalf's Thoughts at the Council of Elrond

The portions in bold, are direct quotes from "Fellowship of the Ring".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It breaks my heart, though I know that it must be. I stand here and watch while the young hobbit steps forward and makes his offer, little realizing the danger into which he places himself. His voice is strong, but his eyes betray his confidence. Those eyes! So much is told from within their depths.

"I will take the Ring," he says, "though I do not know the way."

Nor does he know the danger that he will face and yet, he bravely offers to do this thing which others will not even attempt. He places himself at risk willingly. I have never doubted the spirit of this one and though hobbits continue to amaze me, I am not surprised that it is Frodo Baggins who will undertake this quest. If the fate of Middle Earth must rest within the small hands of so innocent a creature as a hobbit, then we are most fortunate indeed that it is this one.

In all of my long years among hobbits, I have never known a truer heart than this. I am very fond of all of these foolish hobbits and of their peaceful Shire, but this one has always been remarkable. In him, I see an inner strength and determination that most hobbits do not possess. I see the curiousity of the Tooks, the cleverness of the Brandybucks, and the stubbornness of the Bagginses when I gaze upon this lad who now stands before this powerful Council offering up his very life.

Here is the best that the Shire has to offer and perhaps the best that Middle Earth can boast. He stands before them all and myself and waits. He holds his head high for all to see. His resolve in this matter is unshakable. I know that I cannot spare him this burden nor save him from what is to come. I try to smile at him because I am proud of him, but I fear that my countenance reveals more than I would like. He is a very bright lad. He knows how troubling I find all of this.

Now, I watch as Lord Elrond looks over at Frodo and speaks, "If I understand aright all that I have heard, I think that this task is appointed for you, Frodo; and that if you do not find a way, no one will. This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck?"

I cannot argue against this decision for I know that Lord Elrond speaks the truth in all of this. I can only try to keep him safe as he continues his journey for as long as I may. May the Valar protect him and give me the strength to do the same. The very fate of this Middle Earth has been laid at the doorstep of this one, small hobbit and he has come forward to meet his destiny. Only I am not surprised by his courage. After all, he is a Baggins and Bilbo’s heir. He comes of good stock and I have always seen something that sets him apart. Now, others will see what I have known all along.

I see a look of pride on the face of my dear friend, Bilbo for here stands the one that he has loved best among all others. His eyes match mine in their worry, but his fierce pride for his lad shows above all else. He and I exchange glances, sharing our thoughts the way only those with deep ties and years of shared memories can. His look speaks volumes to me and I hasten to reassure him that all is not without hope by my actions.

I manage a much better smile and take my place at Frodo’s side. This young hobbit is not going into the darkness without Gandalf! No, indeed.

The End

 




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List