Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Promises Broken and Kept  by Periantari

14 Astron S.R. 1389

Dearest Merry,

How is my favorite hobbit? Did you get my last letter? How are things at Brandy Hall?

Remember how I said that Bilbo was going to teach me Elvish? He has begun giving me lessons but he has given them to me at the most unexpected place! Bilbo took me to Bindbole Woods yesterday and it was great fun! Bindbole Woods is about fifteen miles north of Hobbiton and it took quite a while to get there. It is pretty woody and not many folks go there, according to Bilbo. Bilbo and I trekked through marshes and over lesser traveled paths leading there from Hobbiton! He told me some stories about the history of the area. Then we roasted marshmallows by the fire, sang songs, and I learned some Elvish by the campfire. On the hike through the Bindbole, Bilbo told a scary story about the place! I will tell you when I get the chance!

I miss you Merry—Bilbo and I will visit sometime soon. I keep telling him that we should but he says it’s been too cold—I don’t’ know what all of the fuss is about. If we are able to go to Bindbole then why not visit you in Buckland?. Sometimes Bilbo is very difficult to figure out..

Keep being my merry Merry!

I love you,

~your dearest cousin, Frodo

“Maybe we should reply saying that Merry needs to see him,” said Esmeralda as she read the letter aloud to Saradoc. The Brandybucks had been tending to Merry since they had found him sleeping in the hallway, soaking wet and chilled to the bone. Esmeralda had scolded Berilac and Merimas for going out into the rain but the two lads were now suffering for their actions. Both of them had nasty colds from their ill-conceived adventure.

Poor Merry suffered the worst of it. He had a high fever and was coughing non-stop. That night, Esmeralda had sent for the healer, Amaryllis Goldenfeet. They had been working the whole night, making the recommended willow bark, echinacea, peppermint-rosemary, and muellin flower teas to help with Merry’s fever and coughing. Amaryllis had been kept very busy making tinctures for the medicinal teas.

She also help Saradoc and Esmeralda give Merry a cold water bath. This caused the fever to go down enough so that Merry awoke for a while. But after being awake for only a short time, Merry was soon fast asleep again. The fever made him very tired and the cough was draining his energy. His worried parents continued their ministrations while the child slept fitfully.

“And worry Frodo?” replied Saradoc as he placed a wet cloth on his son’s neck. Merry was flushed and hot but he was trembling. The child moaned softly and called for Frodo in his sleep. Nightmares seemed to plague the poor little hobbit even as he tried to rest.

“We shouldn’t keep this from Frodo--- He loves Merry as much as we do. He would be here if he knew Merry was this sick,” said Esmeralda as she tried to get Merry to take a few sips of tea.

“I’ll leave the choice up to you then, my dear,” Saradoc said.

Frodo sensed that there was something wrong. Shouldn’t Merry have replied to his letters by now? The Shire post seldom was inefficient. Letters usually arrived quickly. The Shire post had more employees than the Shiriffs and letters were sent hourly if needed.

“Bilbo” Frodo said restlessly, “Let’s go to Buckland. I want to see Merry.”

“It hasn’t even been a week yet, and you already miss our little lad, don’t you?” replied Bilbo.

“Yes I do, and I don’t’ know why but —I feel like there is something wrong. I have written two letters to Merry and I’m about to write a third one. The trouble is that I haven’t got a single letter in return. It’s unlike Merry to not reply,” said Frodo worriedly. “I hope he isn’t still mad at me for leaving him.”

“I’m sure not, dear Frodo,” said Bilbo gently. However seeing Frodo’s anxious look, he added. Let’s go for another adventure then.”

“Really? We’ll go see Merry in Buckland? Hooray!” cried Frodo.

Just as they were getting ready to set out, a messenger knocked at the door. He had a letter from Buckland.

Frodo didn’t think twice. He quickly opened the letter.

15 Astron S.R. 1389

“Dear Frodo,

I do not know how to break this to you, but Merry is very sick—please come as soon as you are able.

Yours in haste,

~ Esme

Tears filled Frodo’s eyes. He sat down feeling guilt consume him. The letter fell from his hands and dropped to the floor. Bilbo picked it up and read it.

“How can my dear Merry be so sick? What happened? Let’s go immediately!” cried Frodo.

“Oh dear, we must definitely go now. If we start now, we’ll be there before the sun sets,” Bilbo said determinedly.

Frodo and Bilbo hurried out to get the ponies. They were soon on their way to the Great East Road riding east towards Buckland.






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List