Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Promises Broken and Kept  by Periantari

The next day, to Merry’s dismay, it was still raining, and he felt frustrated. He couldn’t convince his parents to visit Frodo. It didn’t help that, even with his parents by his side, he couldn’t sleep. The storm woke him in the middle of the night and he was scared. His mama had cuddled him sang to him softly but he still did not feel rested. His mild sore throat from the day been before was now becoming more irritating. It made him cough.

“Ma! We should go visit Frodo!”

“It’s pouring outside, darling. We cannot mange a trip to Hobbiton in this weather. The roads will be muddy and the cart ponies will have a very difficult time of it, if we try to go now. Believe me, I miss him too. I would love to visit him and we will as soon as we can,” replied Esmeralda. “Now eat some breakfast, dear. You hardly had dinner last night.”

“But my throat hurts—“said Merry as he started to cough.

“Oh dear, are you getting sick?” asked Esmeralda alarmed.

“I don’t know…I don’t want to eat,” said Merry as he lay his head down. A headache was starting but he tried not to think about it. He was busy trying to devise a way to visit Frodo.

Esme brought some tea with honey for Merry to drink in the hopes of soothing his throat. She placed a hand on his forehead. Merry was slightly warm. He probably had a fever.

“I’m fine, Ma,” said Merry. He looked at his mother pleadingly. “If the rain isn’t too bad this afternoon, can we please go to visit Frodo? Please?”

“If the rain lightens, and if you don’t seem like you’re catching something,” said Esme. She knew she was a worried mother but she couldn’t help it; Merry was her only child and she didn’t want Merry to suffer or feel sad. She could not change Frodo’s decision to live with Bilbo, even though she knew that Merry was upset by it. Merry would adjust and understand in time.

“I’m fine, Ma,” repeated Merry between coughs. “So can we? Visit Frodo sometime soon? Can I go play outside when there is no rain?”

“We really should let Bilbo know we are coming beforehand. He will want to prepare for company. Besides, it is a long way to Hobbiton, dear-about twenty leagues in fact!” She smiled at him and then answered his second question. “You can play outside, only if it isn’t too cold and if it stops raining completely. Do you understand, dear Merry? However, if your cough becomes worse then I will want you to remain indoors.”

“But Ma! I’m all right; your tea helped,” Merry mustered his brightest smile and sat up straighter to prove to Ma that he was well enough to attempt the trip or at the very least, to go outside and play.

He glanced over at his cousins, Berilac, Merimas and Mentha who seemed to be conspiring to run out in the rain and play with in rain puddles. They’ve been whispering all throughout the meal! They must be up to something.

In spite of Merry’s wishing, the rain didn’t stop. Merry was bored. No one wanted to play the games that he wanted to play. The little ones played dull games that only very small children enjoy. Merimas was being bossy. Mentha and Melilot were boring just like most lasses were. Berilac, who was usually very reliable, was nowhere to be found.

Suddenly Merimas appeared. “Oy, Merry! Stop sitting around and play. I have a dare for you.”

“What sort of dare?” Merry was bored and wanted to stop counting the amount of raindrops streaming down the window as he slouched tiredly on the coach. The rain had subsided to drizzles, but it wasn’t getting warm like typical Astron weather yet. He wanted to sleep, but he was too restless and uncomfortable with his sore throat. If only Frodo was here to play with him, he always played the games he wanted.

“I will play jacks with you if you race with me in the rain,” said Merimas mischievously.

“But Mama told me not to go into the rain---“protested Merry.

“You’re being a Mama’s boy, aren’t you?” chuckled Merimas. “Fine—I won’t play with you then. I’m going to play with my sisters.” Merimas started to pretend to leave Merry.

“Why would you play with them? Hobbit lasses are so boring. Are you really a hobbit lass, Merimas? What if I do come and run with you? What is the prize?” said Merry boldly. He wasn’t feeling at all well, ut he was not about to let Merimas tease him.

“Isn’t playing with you enough?”

“No, not really. And you know I can beat you easy,” said Merry trying to stand up to Merimas. Merimas always thought he was so bright and interesting just because he was a year older than Merry.

“What’s going on?” Berilac stepped into the room where the two hobbit lads were talking. “What are you two up to?”

“Merry’s too chicken to race me in the rain,” said Merimas with a smirk.

“That is not true!” said Merry, embarrassed. “It’s rainy out!” If he hadn’t been so tired then he might have felt braver. Still, he couldn’t let his older cousins think he was a coward. Merry drew himself up and said, “I’m not afraid of a little rain. I’ll take your dare, Merimas!”

“Then let’s go,” said Merimas. “Besides, the rain isn’t that bad right now.”

“Yes, that’s true,” agreed Berilac enthusiastically. “I want to race too!”

Merry could do nothing but agree. The three hobbit lads fetched their rain cloaks and went out to the side door since fewer adults would inquire where they were going. He followed the older cousins outside.

The chilly wind caught them unprepared as light drizzle wet their hands, faces and heads. Merry drew his cloak close about him, shivering uncontrollably, and asked, “Why is it so cold?”

“It’s not too bad,” replied Merimas. “When we run, that will warm us up. Let’s all run to the maple tree on the other side! We can start the real race from there!”

“But I’m not ready!” cried Berilac as he ran to keep up with Merimas who was well ahead.

Merry coughed and breathed harder than normal to keep up. He followed them at a slower pace because his headache had become worse ever since venturing outside.

Finally catching up to them at the maple tree, not far from the front entrance to Brandy Hall, Merry felt more tired than ever. He really didn’t feel well but he didn’t want Berilac and Merimas to know that.

“Hey are you all right Merry?” Berilac asked looking at Merry who was shivering and coughing.

“A bit of running has made you pretty tired,” Merimas said as he looked at Merry whose eyelids were barely open.

No, no…I’m just fine,” said Merry defiantly. He stood tall just like his father always did whenever other hobbits doubted him, but Merry felt terrible. He longed to go back into the warm smial.

You don’t look too good,” said Berilac. “Are you sure you want to race, Merry?”

“Let’s just start and see who is the slowest. We’ll run only one time since the wind is just awful. I bet I’m faster than both of you!” cried Merimas before Merry could say anything. “Last one to the side door will have to be my slave for the rest of the afternoon!” Merimas grinned. With his arm held over his head, Merimas said, “Ready, get set,” Then he dropped his arm and shouted, “GO!”

Berilac and Meimas guickly sped away leaving Merry to try and keep up as best he could. The drizzling rain was making Merry wet and uncomfortable. He was chilled to the bone. The side door had never seemed so far away and every step that Merry took was harder than the last. Struggling along behind the others, Merry finally arrived at the door, his side aching and his head pounding. His older cousins didn’t seem the least bit winded, but Merry could barely catch his breath.

“Haha! I won! I won!” yelled Berilac, ecstatic.

“Well, you splashed me with that puddle! It wasn’t fair!” cried Merimas.

“Can we go inside now?” Merry could barely limp to the door—he was so tired and he was coughing non-stop now.

“Yes, you sound pretty bad,” said Merimas. “You lost by the way—you still must become my slave---“

“Merry?”

Merry didn’t hear any more. He stumbled inside and immediately collapsed in the hallway. He was shivering and thoroughly exhausted. He closed his eyes and fell asleep.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List