Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Relapse  by Periantari

"What hope have we? It is long since we had any hope." Faramir, Window on the West , TTT

Faramir found that keeping himself occupied during the days of preparation leading up to the coronation was the best way to keep his mind off the tragic events of the war. How he had lost his father, his brother, and his dearest comrades weighed heavily upon him, but he willed himself to think of Gondor first. He was grateful he had been drawn back from death by the King, then met the loveliest lady he had ever known, but there was still a hollowness inside that he could not shake away nor did he want to. The war took almost everything. It was such a great cost to usher in a new age.

The days after the coronation were hard. While there was much work to be done for the restoration of the city, Faramir had to prepare for tasks relating to his new role as Prince of Ithilien. He also wanted to assist the King in any way he could to restore Minas Tirith and its surrounding areas. Assessing the damages and then making plans daily for rebuilding and reconciling with the other members of the King’s council were all part of the Steward’s duties . Soon, he would also tour Ithilien to see how to repopulate that area of Gondor. It was a long day’s work keeping him busy till the late hours. He could not let his fellow Gondorians down in this critical time of recovery. Aragorn was doing his best as well, but Faramir felt like he knew his city more; and that he could be a better guide for reconstruction.

In addition, food shortages and homelessness were issues to deal with as Minas Tirith was recovering from the long siege. It was difficult to look at familiar places and towers being damaged so extensively by the Enemy. Hearing news of those who had fallen in order to defend the city was devastating. The list of the dead at the Houses of Healing were posted daily and Faramir tried to visit the families of those affected. Though he did not admit it to anyone, it took a toll on his mental well being.

Since the coronation, a good night's sleep has eluded him. Faramir had experienced odd dreams interrupted by flashes of fire and darkness. He awoke in cold sweat. His shoulder had started to throb.

He seldom saw Éowyn. She had been preoccupied with getting ready for the long journey home to bury King Theoden. Faramir planned to attend the burial too but Eowyn had to leave earlier to prepare. Faramir was reluctant to part from her, but he knew he was going as soon as his duties in Gondor permitted.

After a particularly troubled night of inadequate sleep and nightmares, Faramir felt out of sorts the next morning therefore he did not feel well enough to attend the meetings scheduled for the day. He sent messages asking to be excused for the day as he needed rest. The gray cloudy day reflected his mood trying to fight the dark thoughts that pervaded his mind. What if his father were still here? What if he had done more to secure Osgiliath? How he wished Boromir was here to shoulder the responsibilities he felt!

A knock at his door interrupted his reverie. He collected himself and called, “Come in.”

It was Aragorn. Faramir felt embarrassed that he had been summoned by the King himself. He stood up and bowed.

“How are you feeling, my Steward?”

He was not used to being called Steward- wasn’t that his father, not him?

“I am well, my lord, just a little tired from the preparations…”

“Are you not sleeping well at present? This time of upheaval is a lot to take in and accept,” said Aragorn gently. He took note of Faramir’s demeanor- the Steward looked flushed, and he seemed to favor his right side. Aragorn could tell that Faramir still needed some healing.

Faramir did not know where to start. He felt he could trust Aragorn and would follow wherever he led, but he did not want to show weakness to his King.

“Everything is going smoothly and affairs are progressing steadily until we go to Rohan for the burial of King Theoden,” replied Faramir.

“I am not here to discuss affairs of state– I would like to see how you fare. Thank you for arranging such a seamless coronation and ensuring all the proper rituals were observed for my crowning. I could not ask for a better ceremony,” said Aragorn. “Again, how do you fare?”

“It is my duty to oversee the transfer of power properly. I am glad the coronation went well. We had only dreamt of this day and finally it has come to be. We are all hoping for better days,” replied Faramir evasively. He walked away from the King and towards the window at the far corner of the room, looking out over the battle-worn Minas Tirith. The buildings had scaffolding and men were already at work. He could see as far as the outside fields of Pelennor where pits had been made to burn the enemy dead. Shallow graves for the fallen had also been made. The orcs were burned in pits farther from the city. He looked away from the piercing gray eyes of the King.

“You did not answer my question- how is your health and how are you dealing with all the changes?” Aragorn asked “We will ride out from Gondor soon to Edoras, and I hope that your shoulder is healed and that you are well enough,” Aragorn followed Faramir and leaned across to check his Steward’s forehead. Faramir did not appear to have a fever but the King sensed he was agitated.

“I fare well enough.” Faramir leaned away and then paused. “I am indebted to you for saving my life. We shall work together to restore Gondor to her former glory—”

“You’re evading the question at hand,” interrupted Aragorn more sternly. “You sent messages asking to be excused from attending the meetings today and I just wanted to see how you are. I believe you need to rest a while longer.” He observed that Faramir was too pale and there were dark circles under his eyes.

“I— have not been sleeping too well lately, therefore I seek some rest and solitude today if you will permit,” admitted Faramir after a pause. He did not need to burden the King with his own troubles and nightmares– there was more to worry about than himself. He looked away, not wanting to meet Aragorn’s intense gaze.

“I know it’s a lot to take in,” Aragorn said gently. “There are many changes to get used to. Amidst the celebrations, all of us are suffering together and trying to adapt. Please do not feel alone in how you are feeling. I lost my dear kinsman Halbarad in the battle and the Hobbits have suffered too. I’m sure they would enjoy some company. Pippin is still recovering from his injuries at the Black Gate. I hope you can join us later this evening if you’ve rested enough. Now tell me what ails you.

“I thank you for your concern.” Faramir paused. “Dreams still plague me and prevent me from sleeping too well,” admitted Faramir. “I feel that we need to find time to have a private ceremony with the chief counselors of my father that are still left. We should also give some recognition to those who have fallen. Many have fallen in the defense of …Gondor,” said Faramir, feeling the tears prick his eyes. His comrades who tried to retake Osgiliath had fallen, and he had learned that their heads were catapulted into Minas Tirith during the Siege.He could not imagine how it must’ve felt to see that firsthand. He felt sorrow for those that had to recover the heads and report to the loved ones what had happened. The horses they rode were also dead and burnt. His favorite horse had suffered grievous wounds.

They had a coronation soon which gave them faith in the future but at this moment he needed to mourn properly for the ones they’ve lost.

“We should hold the ceremony and hope I can join Eowyn for King Theoden’s funeral as well with your permission,” said Faramir .

“Of course we will have a ceremony for Denethor and those that have fallen. I believe we could plan it a week from now. We can also pay tribute to Boromir. I will make the arrangements with you, Prince Imrahi, and the Council,” said Aragorn. “Additionally, I intend to go to Rohan as well for the funeral. In the meantime for you, I can either prepare a sleeping draught or I can help with an Elvish healing treatment for you.”

Faramir was reluctant to accept the sleeping draught but did so anyway. “Thank you, my lord. I will accept your medicine. I will be more rested later in the day. I will also do my own preparations for the ceremony.”

“Very well, I will have Ioreth or another from the Houses of Healing bring some to you. How is your shoulder? Can I see how it’s healing?”

Reluctantly, Faramir let Aragorn examine him. He breathed easier at the King’s gentle touch, peaceful and ready to rest. Aragorn felt that there was nothing wrong with the shoulder but lack of sleep was Faramir’s problem. He laid his hand on the Steward’s shoulder and felt the younger man’s pulse. He had an elevated heart rate.“Was anything strange about dreams that you had? You did suffer from the Black Breath so we need to be sure that you can fully recover from it .”

“Thank you, sire. Dreams are dreams- I have experienced many, especially the one that drew Boromir to seek Imladris and an answer to the riddle.” Faramir changed the subject, “I will visit you later to draw up the plans for the cere–”

“Rest today. We have to be careful that you do not overtax yourself. I am also leaving some warm compress for your shoulder just in case and a sleeping drought. Please be alert concerning the dreams you’re having and let me know about them.”

“Thank you my Lord,” Faramir bowed to Aragorn.

Thanks to Aragorn’s ministrations, Faramir felt relaxed enough to fall asleep when weariness overcame him.

TBC






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List